Reviews tagging Gore

Vengeful, by V.E. Schwab

alexiab's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

This book was almost on par with the first in terms of general storytelling method, except I found it lacked a fair bit of what made the first book so compelling.

The shift in focus away from Victor and Eli, and spending so much time on backstory for new characters that still didn’t feel important, threw a bit of a wrench in the story for me. Of all the new characters, I found June the most interesting and I think she got the least amount of development. I couldn’t find it in me to care about Marcella, and I wish more had gone into Sydney and Mitch, or even more time with Victor and Eli.

Overall I still enjoyed this book and I love what I did get for Victor and Eli, but a lot of the side stuff felt like filler that wasn’t necessary, especially since a lot of it clearly won’t be brought into the third book when it’s eventually released.

jackiepreston's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

bright_brianna's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

unhealthygoblinlord's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

ellasimpsforbooks's review against another edition

adventurous tense slow-paced

acrea17's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

While not as good as Vicious, Vengeful holds up as a decent sequel! This installment toes the line even more with our morally grey characters (Victor, Eli, and even Sydney) and gives a little more insight into the world of EOs and expands upon the idea of tracking EOs down for personal and possible governmental gain. We explore EON, where our old friend Stell captures, analyzes, and possibly neutralizes EOs as a way to both understand them and ensure they are not a threat to society. This part of the book takes on a dystopian quality and has A Brave New World vibes. I absolutely adore this series and was overjoyed when V.E. Scwab announced there would be a third installment in the next few years (along with the upcoming graphic novels!!)

alaynatabor's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

nikki_singh's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

abbysbooks's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

The perfect sequel to an amazing first novel. Schwab has this ability to write stories within stories and tell them with masterful writing and a plot that runs through said writing like water. Each new character blended beautifully with the originals, and they all matured so much within this book. Eli had such a good “redemption,” Victor and June learned what family meant, Marcella took the power she deserved... I can’t. They’re all so wonderfully twisted. My little murderers are amazing and this better not be the end of the Villains universe. Schwab has yet to write a book that I didn’t absolutely love.

spearly's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

Every action had been his own design, every step his own making.
If there was a way out of this, he would find it.
If there wasn’t, he would make one himself.

Vengeful follows our ragtag trio - Victor, Mitch, and Sydney (and Dol) - in the events following Victor's temporary death in Vicious. Sydney brought him back, and now he's... not quote whole. His episodes are getting worse, his deaths are getting longer, and he needs to find a way to stop it.

Meanwhile, Eli Ever is in a heavily guarded cell at the newly minted EON (ExtraOrdinary Observation and Neutralization) facility.

And there's a new Villain in Merit.

This was a really fun read! I enjoyed it even more than I enjoyed Vicious, which is saying something! The new characters were exciting, evil, powerful, and some real adversaries for our anti-heroes.

I've struggled with something about this series, and I think I just have to come around and accept it. I've never loved a character as much as I've hated them, but that's Victor. He's evil, man. Like, I'll murder you when you can't give me what I want, evil. But he's also so damn likeable sometimes. The way he is with Sydney and Mitch, the way he truly seems to care about their wellbeing, about keeping them safe... *chef's kiss*. Sure, they're safety comes at the expense of some perfectly innocent lives but... no-one perfect.

In book one I struggled with the blatant hypocrisy. Eli is some self-proclaimed messiah, murdering all the other EOs because they go against God's plan. Victor has a long-awaited vendetta against Eli, made worse by Eli's self-righteousness. The two come to a head, and out favourite villain is raised form the dead.

And then here, we have... Victor doing the exact same thing, albeit for different reasons. And it's suddenly okay because he's not
Spoilerkilling EOs
for God, he's doing it to protect his crew. (Only
Spoilerkilling all the witnesses to Victor's non-dead state hardly makes a difference, since EON finds them anyway!

I think I will just have to be okay with the hypocrisy. In fact, that's the point. There are no good men in this game (okay, except for Mitch, though I'm sure he has blood on his hands, too). Honestly, Sydney might by the only good-to-her-core character. But what did I expect, reading a series called Villains?

Overall, an excellent duology. In fact, I could even go for a third book, if V.E. Schwab were so inclined. What happens to June? The formula? Victor and Mitch and Sydney?
SpoilerGO BACK FOR DOM, GIRL!! YOU CAN RAISE THE DEAD!!
. Maybe the excitement is in the not knowing. Schwab certainly knows how to leave readers wanting more.