Reviews tagging Body horror

Vengeful, by V.E. Schwab

alexiab's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

This book was almost on par with the first in terms of general storytelling method, except I found it lacked a fair bit of what made the first book so compelling.

The shift in focus away from Victor and Eli, and spending so much time on backstory for new characters that still didn’t feel important, threw a bit of a wrench in the story for me. Of all the new characters, I found June the most interesting and I think she got the least amount of development. I couldn’t find it in me to care about Marcella, and I wish more had gone into Sydney and Mitch, or even more time with Victor and Eli.

Overall I still enjoyed this book and I love what I did get for Victor and Eli, but a lot of the side stuff felt like filler that wasn’t necessary, especially since a lot of it clearly won’t be brought into the third book when it’s eventually released.

kodi_rae's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

acrea17's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

While not as good as Vicious, Vengeful holds up as a decent sequel! This installment toes the line even more with our morally grey characters (Victor, Eli, and even Sydney) and gives a little more insight into the world of EOs and expands upon the idea of tracking EOs down for personal and possible governmental gain. We explore EON, where our old friend Stell captures, analyzes, and possibly neutralizes EOs as a way to both understand them and ensure they are not a threat to society. This part of the book takes on a dystopian quality and has A Brave New World vibes. I absolutely adore this series and was overjoyed when V.E. Scwab announced there would be a third installment in the next few years (along with the upcoming graphic novels!!)

ettic's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

Wow, just wow! The ending felt satisfying yet unsatisfactory at the same time, like it was a fitting ending but I want so much more from these characters as well! Loved it!

abbysbooks's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

The perfect sequel to an amazing first novel. Schwab has this ability to write stories within stories and tell them with masterful writing and a plot that runs through said writing like water. Each new character blended beautifully with the originals, and they all matured so much within this book. Eli had such a good “redemption,” Victor and June learned what family meant, Marcella took the power she deserved... I can’t. They’re all so wonderfully twisted. My little murderers are amazing and this better not be the end of the Villains universe. Schwab has yet to write a book that I didn’t absolutely love.

krilves's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

It's almost embarassing how long it took me to finish this, but I put it down for a couple of weeks while I moved to a new city and only picked it up again a few days ago.

I liked the book. I wasn't sure I was going to - I liked the previous one too, but neither book has inspired any strong feelings in me. They were good entertainment and had likeable characters, but I didn't think they were mindblowing or very exciting plot-wise.

I couldn't see this book end any other way than with Eli, Marcella, and Victor all dead, so I'm not sure how I feel about how it actually ended. (I'm trying to be vague and non-spoilery.) It seemed pointless, and even somewhat out of character? I guess it does open up for a potential sequel, but I'm also like, meh, can't the story just have a finite ending, please. can't all three of them just be dead, and then this could be a tragedy in two parts.

frantic_vampire's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

Wow...I have no words. This was just an amazing read. This was so good and now I really, really want the next book to be out sooner rather than later. Like, holy crap. It was so freaking good!

I loved the writing style in this. It switched between different places, times, and POV’s. That really helped to round out the world and the story. And I can’t believe that I felt sorry for Eli at one point! Schwab really knows how to make you feel for a character....even one that you absolutely loathe. I fell in love with Dom, Mitch, Sydney, and Victor even more. But I had my heart broken more times in this book than I was ready for.

Not gonna lie, Vengeful was a absolutely delicious read. You just kind of sink into this world and don’t want to come up for air. It also had a completely different feel from Vicious, and I can’t get enough of it. Is it wrong that I really want to give Victor a hug? The man clearly needs one. Anyway, this is getting a solid four and a half stars.

_m0's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

rebecacelest's review against another edition

fast-paced

kitausu's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

Loved this!