Victories Greater Than Death, by Charlie Jane Anders

stringbeanbooks's review against another edition

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with an eArc in exchange for an honest review.

I had such high hopes for this one, but unfortunately it fell flat for me. I loved the first 10 or so chapters, but after that the writing felt incredibly distant, and plot points happened so quickly that there was no time for them to develop. This made it feel like there were no consequences to anything that occurred, which made it hard to feel invested in the story. Ultimately, I think the premise was strong, just not executed the best. I liked watching Tina grow into herself, and liked the Earthlings friend group, but it wasn’t enough to make me love it.
Trigger warnings for mentions of bullying, mentions of abuse, mentions of transphobia, racism, violence.

foreveryoungadult's review against another edition

Graded By: Mandy C.
Cover Story: Pretty Big Face
BFF Charm: Yay
Swoonworthy Scale: 7
Talky Talk: Hitchhiker’s Guide
Bonus Factors: LGTBQ+ Representation, Smart Kids
Anti-Bonus Factor: Genocidal Warmongerers
Relationship Status: Crewmates

Read the full book report here.

kmj91's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

ninreadsalot's review against another edition

tbf, the plot was kind of all over the place. but I love the characters and the found family aspects, 10/10!

whimsyqueen's review against another edition

I gave this book three stars, but I’m reality it’s more like 3.5. I really enjoyed this book, honestly. I loved how adventurous it felt, and the premise was phenomenal. The idea of Tina having to live up to the memory of herself, essentially, was really good, and I think a lot of YA readers will really be able to connect and relate to that. I also liked how it just sorta plopped you in the middle of everything, and didn’t seem to worry too much about having to set up the universe. You learned about things AS everyone else in the story learned about them, and that was great for me.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t find myself really connecting to a lot of the characters I felt that I wasn’t supposed to care about. The other Earthlings (save for Elza) didn’t really do it for me, and the plot felt sorta slow at first and then really super rushed up at the end. On top of that, I really feel like Anders’ normally gorgeous writing style was sort of toned down for this book. I love the way she writes, and I wish that more of that had come through with this.
Over all, I enjoyed reading this book and I will be recommending it to the right people I’m the future. I’m so glad I got the opportunity to read this ARC, and I’m looking forward to the idea of reading more of this story.

kevinhendricks's review against another edition

A YA space opera that felt a little too YA and not enough real space action.

starry1086's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful inspiring fast-paced

lezreadbooks's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful tense medium-paced

hadas's review against another edition

This was a really fun read!
"Victories Greater Than Death" is a exciting space opera influenced by all the sci-fi franchise I love, like Star Trek, Star Wars, and Doctor who.
What I loved most about the book was the *genius* world building. Anders invented a full galactic culture full of amazing details. Aliens that feel weird, but can still be understood. A species that thinks in threes, and another in which only pregnant people can be a part of the government. The creativity and planning that went into this universe reminded me of that Becky Chambers, only on steroids.
Having said that, I feel the characters fell a bit flat. I liked Tina and the gang, but I didn't *love* them. There was character development, but it felt a bit shallow. Similarly, the villain of the book was quite one-dimensional.
Overall, I'm excited for the next book.

cindeereads's review against another edition

This book had a great concept it just was not executed all that well most of the characters were one dimensional and forgettable and the story got less interesting the further I got into it. The characters were ok not that interesting the MC Tina was the least one dimensional of the lot she was easy to understand being the clone of a dead alien and leaving earth to be safe and save people. The more characters that were introduced the less I cared if they lived or died none were interesting they were either bad stereo types or just dull one dimensional. Also the pronoun thing just annoyed me it became redundant by the end though this idea of putting ones pronouns in there in introductions will never be normal I have no idea why someone would even think it would be. The plot was ok it started out strong and just went downhill from there the story starts with Tina and her friend and her talking about the fact she is a clone of a dead alien hero and what that means after that they are attacked and go into space and other not interesting at all things. So overall I was not interested and will not be reading more when more books come out.