The Great Godden, by Meg Rosoff

beautifulpaxielreads's review against another edition

Not really feeling this right now, so I'm stopping.

sokka's review against another edition

mysterious fast-paced

stephee's review against another edition

A summer idyll? #3wordbookreview

bibliophilogy's review against another edition

Thank you so much to Pansing for sending me a review copy of this book! All opinions are my own and this book is now available in all good bookstores so grab a copy now!

Three-word description : summer, love, family
My rating : 3.25 / 5 stars

This book is so unique, I’d say! It is a short read that I picked up and I find myself flying through the book because I really want to figure this book out! I feel like it reads like a modern classic, the protagonist is never mentioned of their name, I think it was intentional to keep mystifying the book up in a way? I did enjoy my time reading it and I definitely think this is a fun book to pick up if you want something different.

So, I do not think there is much to spoil because this is the kind of book that everyone would have caught different things because it’s so ambiguous? Yet it is such beautifully written, the writing style is so lyrical and just somewhat magical and it keeps you wanting more! I did not expect things to go the way it did.

We meet the Godden boys, both so different you could not help but root for one of them. (No spoilers!) I love the dynamics, from how the author handles interpersonal relationships to giving each character an edge and their personalities, you can kind of see a little of yourself in all of the characters, it feels just magical somehow!

I do like the story, but some may find the ambiguity of the story less enjoyable, it is another type of storytelling technique I guess and this may definitely be a hit or miss with no in betweenness. I think I liked the book enough, but I kind of long for more development, maybe a little longer to see the story really wrapped up nicely and come full circle as the ending was kind of abrupt.

If this sounds interesting to you, I do recommend you picking this up. It’s very different, and I’d suggest to go into it without any expectations and you may find yourself enjoying the read more! Give this book a try I’d say, it may be your cup of tea!

lindseypeapod's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced

dustspectre's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced
I probably would've enjoyed this book if I didn't dislike the POV character so much. They are a teenager only just leaving their 'not-like-the-others' phase and it shows. The constant degrading comments towards their more girly sister is annoying, and the constant commenting on their sisters' body is downright uncomfortable. Also the constant chasing after Kit, even when it's getting obvious that he really isn't someone to get involved with, begins to get on my nerves.

Also, (MAJOR spoilers)
Spoilerthe fact the MC forgives Mal in the end. This man was bordering on 30 and decided to ruin his marriage by fucking a 19 year old. 'It was like I was under a spell' yeah I get that Kit's very manipulative and an actor's son or whatever, but you don't get to blame the other party for making you have an affair on your fiancée. He wasn't threatening Mal to have sex with him or else, he was only ever described as generally being a manipulative piece of shit! Hope didn't cheat on Mal, the MC's Mum and Dad didn't, it was only Mal! Why is the MC forgiving him! Apologies for the rant, I needed to get that out.

Anyway, this is all probably accurate and realistic for the internal thoughts of an overly horny, 'not-like-the-others' teenager, but just because it's accurate doesn't mean it's good.

I decided to give this book 2 stars because the plot is quite  interesting, and I think I would've actually really enjoyed this book had it been either written in 3rd person or from the POV of literally any other character.

fionamcdiarmid's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

alicegiudes's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful mysterious fast-paced

hilarysmith's review against another edition

Did I like this book? I'm not entirely sure. Not really? Kind of? It had some good bits, and some puzzling bits.

kennedyfio_'s review against another edition

3.5 stars! Although this seems, at first, to be a beach read for a young adult audience, it really is a novel for the new adult world, 18-24. The story is not what it seems, and I truly did not expect it to take the turns it did. Definitely deals with some more complicated feelings and relationships that really can make the reader empathize, especially if they’ve experienced them themselves (why I recommend a new adult audience). I finished it in an afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it.