Deathless Divide, by Justina Ireland

bronwyn's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny medium-paced

ashli's review

adventurous reflective tense slow-paced

kenya_03's review against another edition

Amazing!!!!!

This is a read between the lines book for me. Alternate historical fiction but eerily parallel to the racial struggles of today.
Brilliant!

rcroteau's review against another edition

The strongest part of this book is the world building, for sure. Seeing San Francisco and the Sierra Nevadas as they respond of a zombie outbreak, considering how this alternate history would affect the racial groups in California, is thoughtful and interesting. Jane and Katherine remain strong protagonists as well. My one complaint is that the pacing of this book, with it's rather awkwardly placed time skip, is a little odd, and I have some overall thoughts about the resolution. (Like....the vaccine! What about the vaccine!)

That said, this is a satisfying conclusion to the story, leaving the door open for further tales and spin offs that I would love to read.

bookwirmmadi's review against another edition

THIS SEQUEL THOUGH ALDHSKDHK. Okay so I was hesitant at first. ‘Dread Nation’ was incredible and I worried that ‘Deathless Divide’ wouldn’t be able to carry the standard, but BOY WAS I WRONG. Things escalated in the absolute best way possible, I cannot get enough of this series, dear GOD.

I really enjoyed the dual perspectives of Jane and Katherine in this book. It really added an extra layer that wasn’t exactly lacking from the first instalment, but served to set the two books apart. ALSO, HOLY SHIT, THE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT? Jane became so so so much more interesting with every single chapter, I cannot get enough of her character, she just intrigues me to no end. The little insights into Katherine’s character were also lovely and I found that Ireland succeeded in keeping the two tones distinct from one another, which can be a feat in itself.

I literally cried when I finished this book because I didn’t want it to be over!! How do I move on with my life knowing nothing’s going to be this good?? I’m obsessed with these disaster bi and gorgeous ace queens and am in for one hell of a book hangover now. I can’t recommend this series enough, just READ IT.

Madi

laurendubria's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

What's refreshing about this fantastic alternative history is that instead of being centered around a romance (which is fine, of curse) this story is centered around a powerful friendship. We've got it all: POC rep, disability rep, LGBTQIA+ rep, all the madness that comes with an epidemic of zombies, action and adventure, losing one's self to grief and vengeance, then finding one's self again, all told with a compelling cast of characters and set against the ol' American frontier.

daffzcookie's review against another edition

It was a delight to be back in this universe again, dark and grim as it is. I enjoyed this book a lot, much like the first one. It didn't pull any punches, and i was invested from the start.

The one complaint I have about it is that the pacing felt strange. It took me a bit to get into the second half of the book, and that took me out of the story a little bit.

But overall, I liked it a lot. It was great to see Jane and Katherine again. They are both wonderful and well-written characters who you can see grow and change throughout the story. Their relationship is the cornerstone of this duoligy, and I loved seeing it develop and change in this book.

The whole setting is just very well done. The zombies are integrated into the historical setting flawlessly, and it is very interesting to see how their influence shaped history and changed it.

I definitely recommend these books, they're really great.

foreveryoungadult's review against another edition

Graded By: Stephanie
Bonus Factors: Wild, Wild West, Friendship
Factor: Morally Gray Villain
Anti-Bonus Factor: Inequality
Relationship Status: ‘Til Death Do Us Part

Read the full book report here.