Black Water Sister, by Zen Cho

torireadsthings's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

pocketfullopages's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

bookhoarderbea's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

jorlynn_cosmic_cloister's review

dark funny informative mysterious tense medium-paced

stefievee's review

slow-paced

briarrose1021's review against another edition

It wasn't until I had already begun listening to this book that I saw the brief description the author had given on her Twitter: “A stressed zillennial lesbian fights gods, ghosts, gangsters & grandmas in 21st century Penang.”

I had to laugh when I read it because it perfectly sums up this book. All the stressors Jess deals with, both of her own making and not, threaten to overwhelm her as she struggles to find her place in the world and with her family. Add to that the fact that she is suddenly being haunted by her dead grandmother, pulling her into the middle of a battle that goes back further than she realizes.

Listening to the audiobook brought all the emotions to the forefront. Catherine Ho did such a wonderful job with the narration that you can't help but empathize (and maybe sympathize if you know what it's like to interact with spirits) with Jess and everything she's going through.

With every new twist that occurred, I would think "surely this is the last thing; surely the author won't torture Jess more than this." And, inevitably, something else would happen. All the way up until the end, and that ending was just wow. Indeed, the last 2 hours were just damn.

I am definitely glad that I listened to this book, and I am looking forward to reading or listening to other books by Cho that are now on my TBR list.

nellieh's review against another edition

dark emotional funny medium-paced

bookloversboudoir's review against another edition

This is a new author for me. I chose it at random as it fit the Popsugar prompt and I’m glad I did at I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had no idea what to expect from Black Water Sister and it was a treat. The book is very funny at first when Jess’s grandmother haunts her, talks in her head and seizing control of her body which leads to some very funny moments. Thinks get serious when Jess destroys the status of Black Water Sister freeing her angry spirit, seeking revenge for her murder a century ago and Jess see a darker side of her home and her grandmother’s beliefs.

careinthelibrary's review

dark emotional funny mysterious sad tense medium-paced

mothie_girlie's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring medium-paced