Black Water Sister, by Zen Cho

slynn's review

adventurous dark reflective tense medium-paced

aemilova's review

Wow. This was amazing. I really didn't know what I was getting into when I started it but as I kept reading I kept getting more and more invested and hooked. It was such a roller coaster!
The thing that impressed me the most was how well Zen Cho has captured what growing up in a foreign country that to some extent feels more like home than your native country. And having the contrast between her, having moved to the US when she was little, and her parents, who moved when they had a certain age already, is amazing. How her perception of her parents change from when she's living in the US to when they're in Malaysia and how she feels in both places. Both home yet not really home. I could relate to that so much and reading it made me feel a little less lonely when it comes to worries related to these things.
And then the whole gods part was amazing. I know very little about Malaysia and the gods and religions that are prevalent there but this made me very curious. The author mentions a few books about the topics in the acknowledgments so I might check them out at some point.
The vibe that this book creates amazed me and made me enjoy it so much! The writing, the pacing, the twist are very well curated and make a great companion while you're reading.

obrioye's review

This book was okay. I feel like some things should've been fleshed out more.
I didn't relate to Jess much, so it made it hard to get into the book. I love Ah Ma though.

bookishyvonne's review

adventurous challenging mysterious tense medium-paced

njw13's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

ehmannky's review

challenging dark reflective medium-paced

This is a bit different from other Zen Cho books I've read, but still a wonderful delight to read. I loved the way that the paranormal and the threats therein were so wonderfully integrated into Jess's life, all while keeping the more mundane stressers of coming out, job hunting, and identity so centralized. It's just a great novel overall, and just cementing my belief that Cho could write a phone book and I'd be enthralled.

I was a little taken aback by a scene of attempted rape at the end, but it wasn't graphic or gratuitously thrown in there,  so it didn't take me out of the story.

abby315's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective tense medium-paced

callofktulu's review against another edition

This kinda felt like a slog at times, but honestly, it’s a solid book. I wanted to read this because of the setting, and it’s great that the author drew from her own experiences, making the story feel all the more authentic.

katagories's review

adventurous hopeful medium-paced

sianhopper's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense fast-paced