1984, by George Orwell

sxdonia_'s review against another edition

This book was one I did struggle to stick with. Around half way through I felt as if the plot started to slow down and I lost interest, however after a month or so of a break I picked it back up again with a fresh set of eyes and I could not put it down. It’s sad to admit how relevant a book like this is in today’s society, but it is beautifully written. Although I do see where some come from when they say that the characters lack depth and yes, admittedly the plot is an almost steal from another author, I do believe this book is worth the read.

e00nnui's review

challenging emotional informative reflective tense slow-paced

regan's review against another edition

Am I glad I read 1984? Absolutely.
Do I think it's an important and fascinating novel? Definitely.
Did I enjoy reading it? Not particularly, nope.

spaghettarta's review against another edition

Sobre la identidad, el conocimiento, la historia, el contexto, el significado, el valor, el poder, la conexión entre los seres humanos y la realidad, los sentimientos, los instintos, la evolución, la deshumanización de las personas, la rebelión, la represión, la sumisión, la supervivencia, la disonancia cognitiva, el lenguaje como vehículo de pensamiento, los límites de ambos, el amor, y, en definitiva, lo humano.

Profundamente filosófico, tanto político como metafísico, es una imagen perfecta del ser humano y de la realidad en el cerebro de Orwell; tan nítida que es fácil ver cómo ambos interactúan.

La experiencia general, sin embargo, queda muy desmejorada por lo violenta y radicalmente misógino que es. Imposible de ignorar, por mucho que uno se esfuerce. Claramente racista, también, pero de forma menos flagrante y agresiva.

Aún así, no puedo esperar a releerlo.

reading1_'s review

challenging dark informative mysterious slow-paced

kitty1818's review against another edition

dark reflective medium-paced

wordsandbookss's review against another edition

3.5 ⭐️

andymsmith's review against another edition

Really enjoyed this book & would recommend to anyone.

The book is a contradiction, as it remains very much relevant in the world of today & yet hasn’t aged well in a great number of ways.

Obviously there are some themes that have not aged well & definitely some scenes that I found difficult to read (rape, torture etc). However those aside there’s a lot to take from this book & indeed some themes that can easily be applied to the world we live in today.

(Not including the above) My only criticism is the ending. It felt rushed & while it was poetic & tragic, I did feel it was a little under developed. There’s a significant time jump & a lot of the story is tied up within a few pages & I was left wanting more explanation. (Maybe that was deliberate?)

jmb2004's review

dark reflective tense medium-paced

maddie04samy's review

adventurous challenging dark informative mysterious tense slow-paced