The Guard, by Kiera Cass

heyitsgabs's review

I Don't get why a lot people hate Aspen
he is so nice and intelligent

idiotzone's review

So much better than The Prince. So cute!
I think this novella determined that I'm Team Aspen.

antinomes's review

my god, this was a tiring read. all this boy did for 64 pages was complain about how unfair everything was and how horrible maxon was. yuck, gross. he gets better, i think, after the one when he stops judging others by their castes. still don't fully like him, probably never will.

i was supposed to read the favourite after this but this book was so off putting that i think i'd be biased towards the favourite if i read it now.

allieb's review

This was better than The Prince. More information about what Aspen was doing while away from America. There were less scenes retold from his point of view, but I liked that. This made me like Aspen more and I felt like I understood him better after his speech to America while she was in the hospital.

theereaderscorner's review

I don’t care too much for his character, but this read was a nice look into Aspens thoughts.

addyrunes's review

While this was good, I didn't find it had any relevance to the story. I get that Aspen loves America. His devotion has never faltered so this story from his p.o.v wasn't anything special. It was just good and did offer some slight insight to who he is.

trisa_slyne's review

I liked this short but I am a tad enraged- if she was going to write a short about Aspen how about writing about him getting over America or when he met his future wife?! We don’t get to see that in the main series so when he suddenly stops pursuing America it felt like a huge plot point was just dropped! This was still fun to read but also it irritates me that it’s all about how in love he is with someone he is about to move on from soon.

gemalibros's review

anna's review

An improvement from The Prince in that I feel it actually adds something to the story. However, Aspen's feelings still seem inauthentic. This could have been an opportunity to give us more about his life that might make us sympathize with him more and see some of what America sees, but it didn't really work out that way. This gets 3 stars mostly because I liked having another point of view for the rebel attacks and some other moments in The Elite. But as far as developing Aspen, it gave a tiny bit of insight but then fell short.