Ruinsong, by Julia Ember

rachel_furr_reads7's review against another edition

This book is apparently a Phantom of the Opera retelling, which I did not know going into it. I don’t dislike The Phantom of the Opera, I’m just not too familiar with it and felt like having a more intimate knowledge of the source material would have made this book more enjoyable. The pacing seemed really slow to me, most of the action happens in the finally quarter of the book. Overall, it was a good easy read, and I did enjoy it. I give it 3.5/5 for the slow pacing as it did make the narrative kind of drag. I think the best thing about this novel is the magic system which I was very intrigued by. Not mad I bought it, not mad I read it, so in 2020, I’ll take the win!

crystalwatch's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

izzyh919's review against another edition

I really liked the beginning and middle of this book but I felt like the end was a little bit rushed. The world building was EXCELLENT and I really felt captured by the magic system and the characters but the plot ended up being pushed to the side in favor of that.

Another thing that bothered me about this was that the book brands itself as an LGBT romance but there is no romance until the very very end. If you’re going to brand yourself as being a gay fantasy book at least make it a little more gay? Idk!

Overall I enjoyed it though!! I wonder if there is going to be a sequel, because the ending seems to frame one. I would probably read a sequel if it was centered on the romance a little more.

sunkissedfool's review against another edition

dark emotional tense medium-paced

sakuraa's review

adventurous medium-paced

thesunriseinside's review

I have no idea how to rate this. I only remember that I felt that the synopsis mentions things that were super far in the background & off-page. & I don't even remember how it ended.

jgberokoff's review

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

nickle4books's review against another edition

adventurous emotional slow-paced

raviolirachel's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense fast-paced

ghostygoblingay's review against another edition

***3.75 stars***
I did enjoy it, but it didn't really live up to my expectations. There are lots of good things about it (descriptive writing mostly) but I didn't love most bits. I think that the characters were a bit underdeveloped (particularly Remi and Cadence) and having a slow burn romance with dual perspectives is really just aggravating. The descriptive writing could have been ditched at times (mostly in Cadence's chapters when she was discussing her love life) it just made it uncomfortable to read. I think I probably could have really liked Nolan as a character, but I couldn't imagine him as anything other than a TikTok boy (that's on me though.) I really liked the ending, even though it was a VERY predictable one. I am wondering if this will be the first book to a series since it ended on a cliffhanger?
Just as a little last note: Remi and Cadence were a very sweet couple, even if the VERY SLOW BURN romance was aggravating.