Ruinsong, by Julia Ember

hollyreads50887's review

dark emotional tense medium-paced

booksmadness's review against another edition

nudziła mnie trochę ://

wildfire's review against another edition

Hmmmmm

kamieangell's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

bookswithmaddi's review against another edition

* Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review *

Ruinsong is a wonderfully built majestic book with a fantastic magic system that transports you to a world where music is magic. We follow Cadence, a singer for the queen who grew up an orphan until her powers were realized. Cadence is forced to use her magic to torture the subjects of the country. With no choice but to obey the Queen she continues the queen's evil reign over the country. In comes Remi, a noble who lives out of the city with her mother and father, and Cadence’s childhood best friend. When circumstances cause their paths to align again they must work to overcome their differences and overthrow the queen. Sparks fly as undiscovered feelings rise up between the two, they might get more than just freedom from this journey.
Ruinsong was stunning. I, of course, was drawn in by the beautiful cover. But it was the plot which caused me to request it on Netgalley. I’ve been trying to read more Sapphic novels so this was a perfect choice! The magic system is definitely my favorite part of this book, it’s absolutely fascinating and so unique! It reminded me slightly of the magic system in This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab, but there were also elements that reminded me of the Shadow and Bone trilogy by Leigh Bardugo. I think overall the world building was the best part of this book. Although we didn’t learn too much about the world outside of the country that Cadence and Remi live in, there was a nice establishment of a religion and a reason for the magic system. I thought the magic was also really nicely developed. It made sense and wasn’t too complicated but also retained a sense of whimsy and uniqueness.
My main critique of this book is the pacing and characters. The book definitely has a slow start, the main plot doesn’t occur until a little over halfway through the book which made it a little difficult to get through at first. Overall, the plot was a bit predictable but still had twists that I could appreciate with the added intrigue of the magic system. As far as the characters, they didn’t feel very developed to me. Cadence and Remi were reasonably well mapped out but they fell into some pretty predictable and stereotypical roles. I wish there had been a bigger cast. While there were some other characters none of them made a huge impact and some felt unnecessary and seemed to just be plot devices.
While I do have some critiques of this book I still highly recommend it. I think it can definitely be enjoyed by a younger audience and the diverse representation is always very appreciated!

fairygirlreads's review

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

Was excited to read this sapphic fantasy book recommendation but I found that the romance was more overlooked than I thought it would be. Still a captivating story at some parts, but I didn’t find the ending to be as satisfying as I’d hoped.

mehek's review against another edition

This book has everything I like in it. A good and interesting magic system, two sapphic and sometimes painfully oblivious MCs, a villain I liked to dislike, and messy/complicated relationships. This book is one that’s about questioning, always, it’s really the heart of it. Questioning other characters, the world, the magic. It’s a good quick read with some strong characters and dark vibes that’ll leave you happy. This isn’t the kind of book that sticks with you for years that has you throwing it in the faces of everyone you meet, but it’s not something you regret having read either- it’s a very good book but not a great one.

Moving to what I didn’t like though and the reason this wasn’t a five star read for me. The ending confused me a little bit. Cadence and Remi are beautiful sapphic ladies but I wanted more out of their relationship- more pining, more time together, just more as a whole. I feel like there were moments that could’ve gone emotionally deeper and just didn’t.

Overall? Although this wouldn’t be my first rec to someone, if you’re on the fence about Ruinsong, I would say to just read it because it’s nice and Remi is a baddie.

allybattery's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

absolutely gorgeous!!

carmscryingoverbookss's review against another edition

(2.5) wasn’t bad by any means, i just found it a tad boring

rykerreadstoomuch's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful tense fast-paced