Ruinsong, by Julia Ember

thelastpage's review against another edition

Buddy read with cossette. Full rtc

amitskisong's review against another edition

3.5 stars

roguewonder's review against another edition

idk if it was end of year blues but I was so disengaged and bored, look at my timeline, bruh,, a month? and I’m a “finish in one night or bust” kind of girl :/

madisonrenaeb's review

emotional reflective fast-paced

the_clavicule_of_ac's review against another edition

2.75 ⭐️

Cadence is nothing more than a tool of the Queen’s, used to torture the country’s nobility. Cadence knows what she is forced to do is wrong, but she’s scared of what would happen if she doesn’t obey. When Cadence is reunited with an old childhood friend- who just happens to be a noble- she must make a choice. Turn against the Queen and save her country, or remain the Queen’s monster.

I had such high hopes for this book. I love everything having to do with magic, and to tout a good sapphic romance- I should be sold. Unfortunately the romance between Remi and Cadence just didn’t work for me. It felt way too instalove.

The world building and character development just wasn’t there. There is so much potential here. The magic system with the singing, the significance of what season babies are born, the different goddesses worshiped. All touched on but never fully developed. So many plot lines introduced and go nowhere. How does the singing magic work? Why does volume make a difference? If someone is deaf would it not work on them? Who are the different goddesses really and why are they worshipped? I have a lot more questions like this, but I don’t want to spoil things. You get it.

The author also makes a point to let the reader know the race of each person. For no reason. Race never comes into play in the story. We also don’t see any race beyond black and white. And the story is 95% white. So why do this? It just felt really odd.

This book has a truly unique premise, it just didn’t deliver for me.

k_r_s21's review against another edition

I thought about giving this book 2 stars, but I just can't. I really don't like this book.

There were a lot of things that annoyed me, like the inconsistent world building, the dead flat characterization, and the villainess who was evil for the sake of being evil, but the thing that was the most annoying was that almost every minuet character was bluntly described as white.

Not even a brief description of their skin color, just a plain, blunt, "They were white." It was so off putting and really took me out of the story every time. There were, like, two other characters that were black, but that's it. There's no other range of skin color found in this world.

As much as I love seeing WLW romance rep, it was not working here for me. Not only was it painfully slow, but the conflicts forcing the leads apart was so convoluted and drawn out that I wanted to smash my head through a wall.

1.5/5 stars. Do not recommend. If you want some good WLW rep in YA, then read How to make a Wish by Ashley Herring Blake, or Far from the Tree by Robin Benway (I know they're both contemporary titles, but if anyone wants to recommend good WLW in fantasy, that'd be great).

paterklatter's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

alindstadtcorbo's review against another edition

Star Rating: —> 4 Stars

This was a f/f HIGH FANTASY TREASURE !

starccato's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced

abiss's review