The Martian by Andy Weir

trash_reader_'s review against another edition

I really enjoyed this. My favorite thing about science fiction is the dorky science involved, so things like this are always right up my alley.

With this being written in log entries (Mark's diary), it also gave it a different feel from most other books. It made it more interesting in my opinion. I appreciated the insight we got into the other crewmates, and even with the rest of the world, although I didn't care for the TV interviews. They're just so bland. But everything else? Top tier. Mark's humor and ingenuity made this book so much more enjoyable, too.

I might have to sit with my feelings on this before I write a better review, because I feel like what I'm saying doesn't do this book justice. I'm excited to read the author's other works.

owenejames's review

adventurous funny informative inspiring lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

luckylikesreading's review

adventurous informative inspiring reflective tense fast-paced

claire_reads_books09's review

adventurous challenging funny informative tense medium-paced

Read this for school. Idk wasn’t my type of book. Laughed at a few parts though.

libraryam's review

3.5 stars-- I enjoyed this book quite a bit.

The author created some really likable characters. The hard science was followable enough. The plot progressed nicely. I just think I expected a different level of tension.

(The reader was excellent.)

book_concierge's review

Audiobook performed by R.C. Bray
4****

When a major dust storm threatens the Ares 3 mission to Mars, the team of astronauts are ordered to evacuate the planet. En route to their MAV (Mars Ascent Vehicle = rocket), the high winds rip a satellite dish off the habitat, sending an antenna directly into Mark Watney, tearing a hole in his spacesuit and knocking him sideways. Unable to find him in the storm, and getting a “flat line” readout from his spacesuit, the rest of the team barely manages to leave before the storm wrecks the MAV. But Mark isn’t dead.

WOW. This is a great story with a great cast of characters. I just loved Mark Watney – his dry humor, his strength of character, his determination and inventiveness. I cheered with him at every little (and big) success, and was anxious at every set back (some of which were just plain disastrous). Weir’s writing completely captured me and transported me to a different planet. I have no clue if the science is accurate, and I don’t care. The novel grabbed me from the beginning and never let go!

R C Bray does a superb job performing the audio version. He has great pacing and is a skilled voice artist, giving the various characters sufficiently unique voices to easily differentiate them. I found myself driving the “long way” around trying to get just one more track listened to before heading into the garage.

rainbow_goblin's review against another edition

I read this on my cousin's recommendation. I had been curious about it, but not enough so to pick it up before her recommendation.

I loved it. The combination of science and humanity was very engrossing. I'm looking forward to re-reading it, this time with my son, so we can discuss it all together.

ghajk's review

adventurous hopeful informative tense medium-paced

Great adventurous sci-fi book. Definitely not as good as Project Hail Mary but an enjoyable read

robynedexter's review

I wanted to give it 3.5 stars, but this doesn't allow for such a thing. I did really enjoy this book, but as someone who doesn't love science all that much, the technicalities were a lot at times. Watney's sass made this book great, though. I want to be his friend.

xcinnamonsugar's review

Thoroughly enjoyed this book, despite having zero interest in space travel. It packs a lot of survival math (and biochemistry and physics) with many hilarious quips, the “Great Martian Potato Migration” being my favourite. Elements of his solitude-on-steroids existence also sounded rather nice and peaceful.