Mo Wren, Lost and Found, by Heather Ross, Tricia Springstubb

bewarethebookwyrm's review against another edition

Mo Wren has lived her whole life on Fox Street but things have changed. Her mother died and her father is left raising Mo and her sister, Dottie, all on his own. He decides to follow his dream and start his own restaurant in the city... away from Fox Street. Mo must learn to adjust to the new lifestyle as her father learns to trust the young woman she is becoming in this heartfelt coming of age story.

I, instantly, fell in love with the characters in this story. Mo tries to be mature while dealing with middle school life. Dottie is quirky and just a fun kid who, in her own way, deals with these situations by caring for old bottles or newts. Mr. Wren, who struggles with the balancing act of business owner and dad. Shawn and Carmella who welcome the Wren family with open arms but both have their own skeletons they must deal with. There is such a great collection of characters in this book that the reader just can't help but to love. This is the stand alone sequel to What Happened on Fox Street and I think that I am going to have to go out and buy that book now b/c this one was so great! I loved it!

To see full review go here http://books4linda.blogspot.com/2012/02/mo-wren-lost-and-found-by-tricia.html

mrskatiefitz's review against another edition

This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

Mo Wren, Lost and Found is the sequel to What Happened on Fox Street, and it sees the Wren family beginning its new life in a new part of town. Dad works hard to make his dream restaurant a reality, while Dottie adjusts surprisingly well to life in a new school. Mo seems to be the only one who is lost, as she copes with being away from Da, Mercedes, Pi, and everything else she loved about Fox Street.

Like the first book, this is a very introspective title, where much of the action of the plot takes place inside Mo’s mind, as she deals with her feelings on various topics. Her new neighborhood is filled with interesting people, each of whom, over time, becomes important to Mo, even in spite of her objections to the move. I don’t know if the book really covered anything new as compared with the first book, but I did enjoy finding out what happened to the Wrens and seeing how things ultimately turned out for all of them. A pet lizard, a used sweatshirt, a curse, and a laundromat also figure heavily into the plot, as does the new family in the house on Fox street, an unusual boy named Shawn, and a surprise snowstorm.

I’d recommend this book to readers who enjoyed What Happened on Fox Street, as well as Susan Patron’s Hard Pan Trilogy, and Karen Day’s A Million Miles from Boston, where characters must also deal with major life changes and figure out how to navigate adult problems.

debnanceatreaderbuzz's review

It seems like it is so hard to find children’s books about happy families these days. First the junior high books and now the elementary school books have taken on the task of presenting Families with Big Problems. Parents Getting Divorced. Abusive Parents. Alcoholic Parents. Even Homeless Families.

Mo Wren is an exception. Yes, Mo’s mom has died, but that’s not the focus of this book. The plot centers on how difficult it is to move and make new friends when you are a child. A very common and difficult experience for kids, I think, and one that this book handles in a beautiful and realistic way.

You grow to love Mo and her little sister and her dad and all her old neighbors and her new neighbors as you read this book. Mo is befriended in her new home by the kid that annoys everyone, and Mo is torn about becoming his friend. A very common experience for kids, and, again, one that this book handles in a beautiful and realistic way.

I finished the book and found that I loved it so much that I wanted to read the first book in the series, What Happened on Fox Street. Let’s hope the author is hard at work on book three. Delightful.

Thank you to the author who sent me this copy for review.

wordnerdy's review