The Appeal by Janice Hallett

jettiedabs's review against another edition

I really, really enjoyed this.

Characters both likeable and irritating abound in this debut novel from Janice Hallett. Village politics and the human experience are probed and explored in a really interesting way - through correspondence between a bunch of am-dram locals with knotty personal lives and allegiances.

The formatting of this whodunnit is really refreshing and I enjoyed playing detective myself, reading though emails and texts and posters looking for hidden clues.

Whilst I did guess a fair few aspscts of the final resolution, I don't feel cheated or unimpressed - it felt like winning! This is an excellent characteristic of a mystery, as sometimes you can feel rather let down if you don't get a surprise at the end.

A solid 5 stars for this and Hallett's next book is now on my want-to-read!

krobinson08's review

Epistolary novels! Who knew! Some of the characters were over the top annoying but this was a fun read. I can't even remember what happened but I know I enjoyed it.

akewalramani's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

cestmackenzie's review against another edition

mysterious tense

giorgia_bi_'s review against another edition

Il fatto che la storia sia portata avanti attraverso una scambio di mail e messaggi rende la lettura molto scorrevole, purtroppo però ho trovato la trama piatta e a tratti inverosimile.

teamyshelfandpie's review against another edition

dark funny mysterious tense medium-paced

clownonthemoon's review

listened to this as an audiobook over the course of 10 hours of scanning files

i can't rate it objectively but it did save my sanity

sarajane96's review against another edition

mysterious reflective tense

brianlarson's review

A bit of slow drag to the finish line.

The format of this book is what hooked me initially. Seeing a story unfold via texts, WhatsApp messages, emails, letters, etc. promised a good ride.

While Christie is able to weave 10+ characters in and out of her murder who-did-it, Hallett started with 15 and worked her way up to nearly 25 without fleshing out a single one of them. The character count was irksome and unnecessary. There’s at least 5 parts of this novel where Hallett takes a step back from the story to re-orient and reenergize readers to continue to no avail.

“The Appeal” is a lackluster read with too many extraneous characters and too little suspense. Appeal to your senses and skip this one.

queencarolrules's review against another edition

challenging mysterious tense medium-paced