Suddenly You, by Lisa Kleypas

sydapel's review

lighthearted medium-paced

This is a little ranty so I apologize. This was legitimately going to be a solid 3 star read. I loved Amanda's character! I thought she was such a refreshing take on a regency woman! She was strong, she was independent, she didn't want to get married for solid reasons. Yes, she had self-image issues that the book exploits to a ridiculous amount but she was a good character and I liked her a lot. I was behind Jack too I thought he was a good foil for Amanda. CHOICES WERE MADE HOWEVER. Without getting into any spoilers, Jack exerts pressure on Amanda, assuming that her choices in the latter half of the book are not the correct ones and basically forcing her into the life that he thinks that she should have. And of course she comes around to it because duh. Which to me completely erases all of that independent woman stuff Lisa Kleypas set up at the beginning of the book. Not to mention there are so many instances in this book where Amanda says "no" to a sexual encounter and Jack just proceeds to keep going because of course he knows better.

I understand a lot of these tropes are common in regency romance novels, and to some degree I'm getting into them simply by reading the book but they've never bothered me as deeply as they did when I was reading this.

mj_libros's review

emotional relaxing medium-paced

sophie_rose's review

I mean, am I invested? No. Is it fine? yeah. Was it steamy?? VERY.

rereadsromance's review against another edition

funny lighthearted slow-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

There were instances when I wanted to shake the protagonists, but I loved them anyway.

laurenr16's review

1.5

emlaal's review

emotional medium-paced

ilex22's review

Langsam merkt man doch den Zeitfaktor inclusive  neuer Tabus.

karimita's review against another edition

Although the characters are well developed with interesting backstories, the chemistry and romance between the characters never worked for me because their encounters never seemed consensual. There are at least three places in the book where the woman says no, the man ignores her, and then the woman, overcome by passion, retroactively consents. I don't believe retroactive consent is consent, so this wasn't the book for me.

4erepawko's review

fast-paced

I was looking for a light rainy afternoon read and found a story full of dubious consent situations with a couple of straight out r*pe scenes. Yikes.

boghunden's review