Obsidian: Last Chapter in Daemon's POV, by Jennifer L. Armentrout

charlottenw1's review

Love this short story

poisonivy70's review

description

This book gave me some feels. Mostly anger, then some shock, swerving straight into OMG I need the next book. It’s the book equivalent of a slap kiss.
description

Which is pretty much what I wanted to do to Daemon for the majority of this story. Ok, not so much kiss as slap upside the head, but you get my meaning. Quickshot - Katy moves to this tiny town in West Virginia with her mother after her dad dies, and she moves in next door to a mysterious set of twins, Dee and Daemon. Dee loves her and Daemon is a jackass. He does all he can to push Katy away, but she pushes back, all the while strange things start happening. When dangerous things keep happening to Katy, Daemon and Katy find themselves spending more and more time together, and yep, you guessed it - romance stops and starts but eventually...wait, I can’t even say it’s a full romance but something is there and it’s going to make you want to know more even if you think “I’ve seen this before, perhaps with sparkles and vampires, but different.” I know, I know. I can’t help it.

I’m super intrigued by the worldbuilding, but it’s the push-pull between Daemon and Katy that, not gonna lie, angers me yet sucks me into romances. Daemon is straight up jerk for a portion of this program, and the flashes of his soft side and the potential for him, irritated me yet I know it’s a hook I can’t help falling for, each time. I completely sympathize with Katy, because a) #booknerdlove, and b) she’s coping with alot of changes as best as she can. Can she be a bit too self-deprecating, and oblivious to her own attractiveness? Yes. Does that frustrate me? Yes. But she starts to stand up for herself, she resists the urge to just let him steamroll over her, and I found myself wanting to know what’s next. So I have to give props to Ms. Armentrout for that. The turn happened at just the right time before I wanted to give up, and while I do think there's the possibility that the overarching storyline (what is going on with the Arum and DOD) could fall by the wayside in support of the romance, and I may be begging for a good edit of the overall story, I think the lure of of what happens next is too strong for me to deny at this point.

Yes, it’s got a itty bitty bit of a cliffhanger (which I still hate with the heat of a thousand suns), BUT there’s still a sense of resolution to this chapter while leaving threads to weave the next, which I truly did appreciate.

So now I’m torn. Do I just be grateful to knock this off my Mountain, or do I do the opposite and add the other four books of the series to it? Decisions, decisions….and that’s the mark of a good story, if it’s making me want to keep going. If you like YA leaning NA paranormal romances with two leads who are drawn like magnets? You may enjoy this.

**purchased**

For more reviews, visit

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

tween2teenbookreviews's review

I forgot how infuriating Daemon was.

starlightmelody's review

So entertaining!

So entertaining!

Katy is so hilarious and being inside her mind is what made this book. Absolutely loved all the characters and Daemon and Katy's dysfunctional but thrilling relationship. I'm really looking forward to reading the next book!

britsreadinglife's review

Find the original review here: http://thisisthestoryofmyreadinglife.blogspot.ca/2014/03/miniviews-4-obsidian-lovers-dictionary.html

This book, this series, is highly gripping and addictive. Yea, it has similarities to Twilight, but holy crap it is just so much better. Katy moves next door to a mysterious brother and sister. And they turn out to be these awesome aliens. And in Daemons case, very hot alien. Katy and Dee start to become pretty close, but Daemon isn't having this. He doesn't trust humans. Katy and Daemons relationship in turn is pretty intense. Full of jabs and arguments, but hot. Katy doesn't back down from him and his jackass-ness. She's really feisty(hello Kitten). Get this, she's also a book blogger. I absolutely loved this! The terms and memes and everything that we bloggers do was right there. Awesome! Anyhow, the alien race Armentrout has created is pretty cool. Her characters and character development is near perfect. And the dialogue, especially between Katy and Daemon is spot on and a lot of them time pretty hilarious. Obsidian has it all; action, hot romance, aliens, lovable characters and characters you love to hate. I'm in love!

jessicacwrites's review

This is such a 2012 book. I mean, duh, that’s when it was written. But, I don’t think I can read books this old anymore.

I had a few issues with this book (and the jokes it made that are not politically correct in today’s world), but the story was decent.

It is definitely a twilight but with vampires. It felt so similar which lowered my enjoyment.

The hate to love trope and slow burn romance made me so happy, though. I have to give it that. THERE WAS SO MUCH ANGST!

Also, the main character is a BOOK BLOGGER/BOOKTUBER !! It was a little disconcerting to read about waiting on wednesday & book hauls, but it was funny (and obviously relatable). The execution felt a little awkward, but it was a cute idea.

I probably won’t continue with this series, but I’m happy I finally read this after hearing about it for so long.

shrereads's review

WOW just WOW~! O_O bye! i need to go read it again!

Full review at chocolatecoatedreviews.blogspot.com

laurien's review

I must admit that the alien part of this story is pretty interesting. But the story itself lacks character development, worldbuilding and a good storyline. It reminded me too much of Twilight and even thouh Daemon might be one sexy alien, the story just wasn't complete. Not sure if I'll continue this series.