Preludes & Nocturnes, by Neil Gaiman

tealmango's review against another edition

Read the full review here: http://newberyandbeyond.com/the-sandman-preludes-and-nocturnes/

The Sandman story line follows Dream, a powerful being who is trapped for 70 long years when an occultist attempts to trap his sibling, Death. When Dream is finally freed, he must traverse the world (and other realms as well) in order to regain his power. The story touches on both mythology and superhero lore, and I would probably have gotten more out of these comics if I knew much about either of those things.

Some stories are graphic; others are sweeping; still others are almost touching. Many left me feeling unsettled and uncomfortable, but I always wanted to continue reading and see where the story went next. I don’t know much at all about comic book and graphic novel art, so I can’t say much about it one way or the other, but I found it very fitting to the story, as it’s dark and sharply drawn.

federicazanca8's review against another edition

This is going to be epic!

I was a bit scared to be disappointed because I am not used to reading comics/graphic novels. I actually wasn't super involved from a graphic point of view. I mean, I liked the reading experience and the drawings are nice but not something I fell in love with. But probably my mistake was to read this on kindle (it was o kindle unlimited...).
Also, I don't know much about the DC universe, but that wasn't really a problem (even though maybe one would appreciate more the presence of some characters if they read of them).
Anyway, this are probably "problems" that I will overcome/get used to reading the next volumes, and in general I really liked it.

I love the mythologically inspired characters and how they are portrayed. Of course I expect to understand them better in the next volumes, because I feel that they have a lot to give and this was just the introduction.
The atmosphere is dark and miserious, and the plot is maybe a bit confusing but that makes it interesting (to me at least)

The plot:
In a messy yet intriguing introduction where people fall asleep, or can't fall asleep, narrated over almost a century of history, we understand this: at the beginning of the century a man (Roderick Burgess) tried to capture Death to gain immortality, but he captured Dream instead; 70 years later Dream manages to escape and he needs to recover his strenght.
Spoiler Dream, Sandman, Morpheus, whatever, is mythologically inspired (as most of the characters) and is in charge of people's dream. To do his work he needs some objects, that he lost, and the rest of the story here is basically him trying to get them. These object are a pouch of sand, a helm, and a ruby. After he recovers at Cain and Abel's place, he starts the quest. First, he finds out that the John Constantine (from other DC stories) has the sand. So he finds him, but his ex girlfriend has it and they go get her. Then the helm is in hell, so he goes there and fights a demon to get it back, pissing off Lucifer (that is now reigning hell in a triumvirate with Azazel and Beelzebub). Finally, he finds out that Dr Destiny (Dc char) has the ruby. Dream finds him in a café where he killed everyone (super good scene and kind of weird), and defeats him in dreams. In the end he has everything but doesn't know what to do. Death appears, she is his sister, and helps him find again his purpose by showing him how she has her purpose (killing people of course).

yakk's review against another edition

I've been on a graphic novel kick for a bit here, so why not reread one of the best?

Its hard for me to not love everything about this. Weird secret societies, captured 'old gods', the realm of dreams, the physical manifestation of Death being a cute goth girl, a ruby that controls people. Its all there. As long as you actually like Gaiman.

I have a huge soft spot in my heart for Morpheus, but there are also so many panels that I see him as a Bowie lookalike. And whats not to love about dream walking Bowie? Who waits instead of fighting for his freedom?

There are some random DC characters sprinkled throughout. But its really not needed. I think this the Sandman stands enough on its own that I actually forgot almost all of the characters that made an appearance. 24 Hours will continue to be my favorite/most mindfuck of an issue ever released

chloefrizzle's review against another edition

Slow and interesting. The exposition of the side characters felt like a firehose of unimportant information. I like the character of Dream, he feels very grand like an immortal force should.

danifeatherstone's review against another edition

I'm just starting to get into graphic novels and comics this past year, and haven't really reviewed any. But here we go!
I loved this. I can't think of anything bad about it. It was super gory and dark for me, it was addictive and fun. Although it took me a bit of time to wrap my head around the start, once I got further in I couldn't stop reading. You get to see quite a few sides to Dream, and then meeting Death at the end. I'm expecting much more, because this is the first volume, the rest is looking very promising.

beccatb's review against another edition

I felt very meh about the first volume of the Sandman, especially after all the hype. However, after talking to some fans of the series, I guess #1 kinda sucks compared to the rest so I'm going to keep plugging on. Honestly I'm also reading these to pad my goodreads challenge cause I've been behind like 15 books for months

tomeraver's review against another edition

The Audible reading is fantastic and really brings life to the graphic novel.

rwoods's review against another edition

The Sandman was recommended to me by a friend who knows my tastes run to the dark side, and the unusual. I was a skeptical at first; I've only read one graphic novel, Maus, so it took a bit of an adjustment but this series is so clever, so absorbing, so incredibly well done, that I was soon absorbed into the Sandman's world. I'm saving my pennies to get more volumes as I am able. I can't wait to get back into the dream.

sylyons's review against another edition

Actually a 3.5 but the writing is great. Dream getting his stuff back was a great story. so was him meeting Death but it was a little slow. it's forgiven since it is the first volume.