The Sound of Stars, by Alechia Dow

stringbeanbooks's review against another edition

:( disappointed that i didn’t love this like i thought i would

maryleong's review

Oh god, this book made me so happy. A sweet, fluffy romance amidst an alien invasion with a protagonist hiding a secret library as part of the resistance? I loved this so much. My heart is so full right now. I need a sequel, stat!

tina94's review against another edition

emotional mysterious slow-paced

deadpandasociety's review against another edition

3.5 stars good cast and would read the second book if there is one some great cast and does have a lot of great characters also enjoyed how the main character reads real books during the book. not my favorite book I have read of 2020 but still decent.

paperbrownies's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

- lgbtqiap+, ya, sci-fi, dystopian, alien invasion, star crossed lovers trope, books and music, queer normative society, your favourite musician with thirteen grammys can be an alien, just saying
- f|m
- bi/pan oriented demiace fat mc with anxiety, possibly demiace love interest, bi/pan sc, nonbinary sc using they/them pronouns

cw: colonization, alcoholism, confinement, execution, vomitting, gun violence, blood, hp references, racism, panic attack, genocide

maggie_daydreaming's review

...eh? It was pretty good in concept and I can see how someone might love it, but it didn't quite do it for me. The romance felt a little rushed, I suppose, but I don't think that's the heart of it. Something about the writing style just rubbed me the wrong way.

I wouldn't *not* recommend it. There's nothing wrong with it. I just didn't love it.

intshadow's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing fast-paced

yanabereading's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

hellokutie's review against another edition

I just couldn’t do the oppressor x oppressed romance. Writing was good and everything, but that’s just not my trope.

cratesso's review against another edition

I started out liking this book and thinking it was a sweet, fluffy end-of-the-world space romance, but Morris was just... Too much. He was too perfect, and that says a lot for a member of an evil alien invasion task force.

A lot of the book felt like it was telling rather than showing, but I did like Ellie's counting method. That did a great job of giving an example of how her anxiety felt instead of just stating "She had anxiety and it was bad."

It was probably a 3.5 for me, just because it really was a cute alien road trip love story.