bnumi's review against another edition

challenging informative slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A

bibliolucinda's review against another edition

“O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!”

- The Tempest

booking_along's review against another edition

i love shakespeare and his quick wit and funny remarks on either human nature or society.

but i didn’t really understand this collection of little snippets of his different works?
i read all how his plays and i think most of what is in this book is also in the plays (it’s been a while so don’t quote me on it but i didn’t think anything new or unprinted was added here?) so what is the purpose of this little collection of random snippets of his plays?

And its not as if they were all little sections of different plays handling one topic. That i would have understood. If the theme of the entire book -for example- would have been dagger? Great! Shakespeare loved his daggers! so add sections of his plays and other writings where he talkes about those.
But if i wasn't completely out of it (again can't guarantee that either since i am currently suffering from a migraine that keeps me pretty well occupied and will. just. not. leave! so my brain power is not has its all time high!) this booklet didn't feature most of his dagger scenes at all...

So what was the purpose if it?

Because if you never read shakespeare before this, i am sure, this will only confuse you because you don’t have any real background to any of what is going on or who those people are or what they are doing... so clearly its not an introductionary book to the works and plays of his.

But also if you read all of his thing and love him... this adds nothing you don't already know or can reread in your favourites of his?

i am confused!

all in all through it’s shakespeare so i am not complaining, just puzzled.

if you love him and want a pocket sized, transportable little mini booklet with a mixture of snippets? this is great!

if you are not a “carry shakespeare EVERYWHERE” type? not sure what you could do with this honestly!

georgianadraica's review against another edition

Tomorrow morning; I'll say never a word.

westerdrumlins's review against another edition

challenging reflective slow-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A
  • Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

Having only read/studied/watched adaptations of Romeo and Juliet, Much Ado About Nothing, Coriolanus, and Macbeth (the latter being my favourite), it was very interesting to experience a sample of soliloquies from a range of Shakespeare's plays. This little black classic put each passage in context of the play and the particular scene that meant I wasn't required to research each play to have an understanding of the passages.

This has encouraged me to get to more Shakespeare, and from the soliloquies in here, I think Twelfth Night, Hamlet, and Cymbeline will be my priorities.

tomas's review against another edition

the rating is purely for the content, not the publication (what was the point?)

whatkatiereadnext's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this little collection of Shakespeare's soliloquies.

It was fantastic to be able to read the well known and lesser known soliloquies of Shakespeare's vast amount of plays. I haven't yet read all of his plays, so this was a wonderful way to get a taste of each of them.

I think Shakespeare is better performed than read, however it was wonderful to be able to read passages that I've often seen performed. The 'father and son' scene from Henry VI Part 3 in particular was brilliant to read and absolutely broke my heart (again!).

I was a bit disappointed that certain soliloquies weren't included in the collection, however it would no longer be a Little Black Classic if every soliloquy was included.

This little collection is a fantastic way to introduce yourself to Shakespeare and get a feel for his writing.

regitzexenia's review against another edition

Capturing Human emotions, whether grand or tiny, is something Shakespeare does very well. Reading these out of context did seem a bit strange, even if the reader is provided with a few sentences on what is going on at this point in the given play. I did enjoy reading this book, and I'm glad I wasn't overly spoiled on the Shakespeare plays that I have not read yet.