Every Last Fear, by Alex Finlay

lynne's review

dark

sweenyreads23's review against another edition

This book was incredible. If life hadn’t gotten in the way, I would have 100% finished this in one sitting. It’s truly hard to believe that this is a debut. I can’t wait to see what this author comes out with next.

katyjean81's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

If you're looking for a quick murder mystery thriller that will keep you reading, this book is it. The before and after times combined with alternating points of view keep you turning pages, although I would have preferred fewer povs, I think.

Definitely keep me reading.

paige_docx's review

Fast-paced, engaging thriller. Helped get me out of the reading slump I was in

bookish_byrd's review

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

kj80230's review

Fantastic read, had an author chat with our reading group and the author and was pleased to hear he has another book in the works. I felt the story was well developed and kept us all guessing on many fronts. Will totally read this author again!!

sakshibarote's review

Pines family was caught up in a mysterious story of a family torn apart and ultimately brought together by tragedy. Danny Pine, the elder boy was caught up under false allegations and the family was trying to uncover the truth. But things fell apart and the story took up a steep turn.
The overall idea of a thriller around family's cryptic encounter with all the things they go through to pull out their child from the mess of a crime was a great effort. The thrill and mystery was mind-blowing and resulted into a really appreciable novel.

charv's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

abundanceofbooks's review

The definition of unputdownable.
It also features a "making a murderer" spoof plotline that was also incredibly well done.
It's a bit confusing, with 5+ POVs and jumping timelines and three mysteries, but it's super engaging. If you want to be taken on a ride, this is the book for you.

sarahtonin_'s review

“You have two choices when you’re confronted with your every last fear: Give up or fight like hell.”

Every Last Fear is a new psychological thriller following two seemingly unrelated mysteries that are linked by one family. It pulls on contemporary true crime influences; from Netflix documentaries to wrongful convictions and investigative journalism. It had such an interesting premise and outstanding early reviews that I thought this would be one of the few thrillers I would love. Unfortunately, I didn't connect on a deeper level to the story which prevented that, but Every Last Fear nevertheless delivered with a solidly entertaining plot that I am sure many will adore.

I don't want to go into depth with a synopsis for this book because there are so many twists and turns that I don't want to spoil any for you. It honestly felt like a movie; cinematic in nature and fast paced action from beginning to end. While that made it easy to fly through, it also resulted in what became my main complaint about the story- I didn't connect to it. This is a similar phenomenon I feel with many movies i watch- I sympathise with the plights of the characters for the duration, but once the end credits roll I end up forgetting who they were and they have no meaningful lasting impression on me. So while I was obviously sad for the main characters and the traumas they were forced to endure, there wasn't any lasting feeling that resided with me. This was particularly evident with our protagonist, Matt Pine, who felt like the weakest out of all our different perspectives. I cared more about the deceased members of his family than I did him.

Overall, I am clearly in the minority with book and it is evident that the majority of my criticism is of a personal nature and probably won't affect most people's reading experience. It was still a good thriller, just not one that I would consider particularly great.

Thank you to Aria & Aries for this ARC