Reviews tagging Torture

David Mogo, Godhunter, by Suyi Davies Okungbowa

blackrabbitrun's review

adventurous challenging fast-paced

The first time I tried to read this book, I put it down after a chapter thinking "eugh, another tough guy macho main character". Boy have I ever been so glad to be wrong. David is a fantastically faceted main character, made of petulant angers and deep, abiding loves and simple everyday greed, a refreshing respect for people who do things better than he does, and not a bit of incandescent (zing!) fury. I'm having trouble thinking of the last time I liked a male character this much. The human cast of side characters is wonderfully free of narrative clich├ęs and deeply, well, human, though the god characters remain a bit distant, possibly due to the book having roughly a trilogy's worth of plot crammed into 400 pages.

What this book doesn't do is explain anything. If you have no background in Nigerian culture, religions, Lagos geography and the Naija pidgin, prepare to spend a lot of time on google or be very confused. What this book does do is slam you face first into red dirt and tarmac in the apocalyptic remains of a metropolis, blood in your mouth and screaming godlings in your ears and the entire range of human and superhuman emotion roiling inside you. I love a book that hits the ground running through an obstacle course and trusts the reader to keep up, but not everyone will.

podanotherjessi's review

adventurous dark slow-paced

This is one of the rare cases where I worked out a rating and chose to round up rather than going with the closer rating. When I put this through my system, it came out to 3.85, but it honestly deserves the boost.

I would describe this book almost as Nigerian Percy Jackson but for adults. It has a similar feel of figuring out who you are and where your limits are, but with more grit and more attitude. David Mogo himself wasn't terribly likable for me, but the other characters are really endearing, each in their own way. My only wish was that David be more proactive, and for the last third of the book to have gone on forever. It really races at the end, and I wasn't ready for it.

Characters: 8