A Martian Odyssey, by Stanley G. Weinbaum

yanina_daniele's review against another edition

No conocía a este autor, pero navegando en los podcast de ivoox en una de mis suscripciones, me apareció este cuento de ciencia ficción, y para variar decidí darle una oportunidad. Y no me he arrepentido, al contrario, esta es una de mis lecturas favoritas del año. Tenemos un viaje a marte, y una gran aventura cruzando las distintas zonas del planeta narradas por el personaje principal, Jarvis, quien conocerá distintas criaturas en este planeta misterioso.

He de decir que disfruté mucho con cada nueva especie que hacía aparición, quizás mis favoritos han sido los últimos, además de Tweel. Si les gusta la ciencia ficción, no se pueden perder de esta historia.

jpjordicat's review against another edition

I couldn't even tell you what happened in this story.

lukesbe's review against another edition

This story is almost 100 years old, but still stays as fresh as ever :-)

sexton_blake's review against another edition

A collection of stunning short stories written in the 30's but ahead of their time in their depiction of bizarre alien life forms.

saramahan's review against another edition

The short story, "A Martian Odyssey," is great fun and an enjoyable read! Weinbaum's writing is so fluid that Jarvis's storytelling, along with the many interruptions from his colleagues, feels incredibly natural. The companionship between Jarvis and Tweel is wonderful and memorable. Such an entertaining story!

montyskid's review

1. I would die for Tweel.

Again, pleasently surprised by how much I liked this short story!
Weinbaum's choice of having the story be told by Jarvis, among his friends, was a great way to tell this story. The creatures were a bit wierd but I'd recommend.

expendablemudge's review

Wonderful to read an 84-year-old SFnal representation of *truly* alien consciousnesses, explicitly made to be so by the author. It was hokey to have a Mars setting, but 84 years ago not quite as hokey as it would be today.

Tweel's character is a hoot. I would love to meet this boop-snoot! And there's a twist at the end of the story that sums up humanity and colonialism right tidily. *sigh*

skjam's review

Reviewed in a collected edition here: http://www.skjam.com/2019/11/16/book-review-the-pocket-book-of-science-fiction/