Wars in Toyland, by Joe Harris, Nolan Woodard, Brent McCarthy, Adam Pollina

nikki_in_niagara's review

This has a "Toy Story" feel to it, mind you more intense and not a little kiddies story. Yet still it had that vibe. A difference is that the toys come alive in their owner's presence to help him. Matthew's brother is a missing person and the toys know where he is, so they take him to Toyland where Alex has been kidnapped and taken over to the dark side. It's a brief story that I just couldn't 100% get into; it rather predictably went where I expected it would. A pleasant diversion but nothing special. I was enamoured by the artwork though. Especially the scenes that have the wooden toy soldiers all lined up to do battle. The artwork enhances and elevates the story, imho. A bit scary and creepy so I'm keeping the recommended age for upper MG+ but some younger, who don't scare easy, will be fine with it.

medusax's review

I received this book for review from NetGalley

I absolutely give up on this book! The plot of the story sounds so amazing and interesting, but did little to keep my attention. It is a very short book about 100 pages and there are more picture than there are words, probably three sentences per page. So i should have flown through this book, but i just could not get into it, and reading this book felt more like a chore, so i gave up! i feel i would have liked this book so much more if i was in middle school or elementary, i probably would have been able to relate more to the characters if i where younger! Overall i would recommend this book for fans of graphic novels because the illustrations where phenomenal and i would also recommend this book to kids 10 to 14

librarianryan's review

4 Stars
A wonderfully illustrated graphic novel with an imaginative story.