Delicate Monsters, by Stephanie Kuehn

paulinrr's review against another edition

4.5 Stars

memawls's review against another edition

I really enjoyed Kuehn's descriptive language and character development. For the more mature teen reader due to sexual content and cruel actions of some characters. If you're looking for a disturbing read that doesn't wrap up into a bow at the end, check this one out.

lrouss89's review against another edition

It's not everyday you find an author who is brave enough to write something so disturbing yet compelling. Kuehn delivers a novel that isn't for the faint of heart. This book made me uncomfortable and that's exactly what I loved about it. The story isn't pretty, but life usually isn't either. Refreshingly twisted. This one will be on your mind for days, maybe even weeks.

snowbenton's review against another edition

A high school novel with the requisite peer pressure, bullying, high school parties, and rich vs poor dynamics. But Kuehn delves deeper into the hearts of Sadie, kicked out of school for almost killing a classmate, Emerson, the boy who killed animals all grown up but still fucked up, and Miles, the younger brother who is definitely sickly but might be crazy, too. I devoured this in one sitting. A powerful story about the darkness that hides in plain sight.

anovelglimpse's review against another edition

I received an ARC of Delicate Monsters from St. Martin's Griffin and Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review.

Wow. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but what went down in Delicate Monsters was not it. It was dark, disturbing, intense and twisted. This psychological thriller messed with my mind in so many ways. The twists and turns were great and not what I was expecting at all. I'm amazed this is a YA novel. It could easily be categorized with adult psychological thrillers.

wellreadrebel's review against another edition

Miles was the only good thing about this book, in my opinion.

cfdracarys's review against another edition

I was obsessed and in love with this book. The ending bumper it down to a four though. Sometimes open ended resolutions work, but it did not here. I wanted a firm ending and resolution and wanted to know how the characters emerged from these struggles. This novel had a potential for a beautiful message, but it was lost for me in the poor ending.

1ratherbereading's review against another edition

*I won a copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review.*

Review to follow.

cousinrachel's review

I didn't feel too much for any of the characters for most of it, but I'll give it three stars for the ending, which was totally unexpected. I was anticipating something cute about Sadie getting her life together like it is in most mental health-related YA, it seems. Nope. No cuteness here.

Sadie's reasons for being a little monster never made any sort of sense. It was just stated repeatedly that she was a jerk because she could be and she found it fun, but that was it. Maybe it's just too difficult for an author to get inside the head of a person like that, but I couldn't identify with her thought processes at all. Oddly, it was hard to get mad at her for her behavior, but that might have been because I felt so detached.

Despite the end being interesting and unexpected, after the preceding events, I didn't find it believable any more than the rest of the plot was. Miles wasn't what I thought he would be from the jacket description, and Sadie seemed to be extremely out of character for the last thirty or so pages. (This is nitpicky maybe, but May's reaction to Emerson at the end did not come off authentically. Too forceful, possibly? It wasn't what I expected from her, and not in a plot-twist way.)

"Unrelatable" characters, but points for the finish that I did not see coming.

solarpunkwitch's review

challenging dark emotional tense fast-paced