The Namesake, by Jhumpa Lahiri

tvarsofhvnii's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective relaxing tense slow-paced

recorderkfk's review against another edition

Tender and deeply human! I came to Lahiri's work via her short stories. This story, of a boy whose parents move from Calcutta to Boston is a story inherently about belonging.

Belonging portrayed in how we love, how we try to be loved by others and remember well. Highly recommend if you're looking for a grounded human story.

devinboehmer's review against another edition

Really interesting to read from the perspective of different generations of immigrants from India, specifically a Bengali family. I loved the writing, character study of Gogol, and structure of the book! Definitely would love to check out more of Jhumpa Lahiri’s work soon.

enewport's review against another edition

Can't describe how beautiful this story is. You just need to read it for yourself.

viv_reads's review against another edition

emotional sad slow-paced

riya_moorthy's review against another edition

This is the book that. got me back into reading. It truly captivated the feelings that I felt being a child of two immigrants from India. I related a lot to the characters and the struggles they faced with embracing their parent's culture and creating their own path.

eberico's review against another edition

I read The Namesake after seeing the movie, and I can genuinely say that I enjoyed both equally, which was a great deal. Both were at times joyous and heart-wrenching, and I highly recommend them.

ashbcgc's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

seleneluna's review against another edition

read this for asian american lit lol...highly highly recommend to anyone who is interested in asian american literature, indian american literature, etc.

abbeyjfox's review against another edition

beautifully written. want to go to india.