A Marvellous Light, by Freya Marske

whothehelliskaitlin's review against another edition

I really enjoyed everything about this book. I love how the magic systems and setup are so different from every other book I've read and although it was sometimes a little hard to follow that never took away from my experience reading it. It was so interesting to read about magic through hands, blood, and land. I also loved that I felt really immersed in the setting and time period without the novel feeling like a stuffy classic English novel. What I enjoyed the most though were the character dynamics and how well fleshed out they were. I was in love with the idea of Robin and Edwin falling in love and I found myself looking forward to every interaction they had. Not only that, I enjoyed seeing how the other characters were built into the story and how they acted as well.

This book gives you everything you want and need from its world and characters without having an over convoluted universe set up to follow and it still keeps you interested. Five stars from me because I was hooked from when I first read the premise till the very end and every chapter kept getting more and more interesting. I also, again, really loved Robin and Edwin!

taydrawrs's review

jillian_reads's review

adventurous funny mysterious tense medium-paced

Such a great read. Had me in fits of laughter and on the edge of my seat. Couldn’t put it down.

llk's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

springsteen's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

liiisa93_'s review

emotional mysterious medium-paced

nalou13's review

adventurous hopeful mysterious medium-paced

booklandish's review against another edition

What a delight! Gay nobles pair up in an unlikely team to solve a magical mystery and I am here for it! I adored the sort-of-regency setting, the twists, and the characters. I can't wait for the sequel and hope to see more of this colorful cast.

Bullet review:
- Magical mystery
- Victorian vibes
- Wonderful romance
- High society drama
- Engaging characters
- Sexually explicit

Bonus point: While I haven't seen it stated explicitly anywhere it's quite obvious to me, an autistic person, that Edwin is autistic too and I adore him! His relationship with Robin is absolutely lovely and built up quite organically.

penguinface's review

adventurous emotional funny medium-paced

hannahcpk's review against another edition

Interesting form of magic and unraveling of the plot! Thoroughly enjoyed the character development of Edwin and his magic. Robin is so well-natured that you really can’t fault him for anything. And strong women? We stan strong, intelligent women in fiction. Favourite part of the book:
SpoilerWhen the Sutton Estate manhandled Walt from hurting Edwin and stuck him to the wall - now that was satisfying.