The Duke and I, by Julia Quinn

danicarae01's review against another edition

This was so addictive, I also really liked the characters in this book, although I think my favourites were Anthony and Colin Bridgerton. I also really liked the writing style and the Lady Whistledown extracts at the start of each chapter

lostinfictionaluniverse's review against another edition

fast-paced

1.5

This book was going so good and I was enjoying it until the moment where Dafne raped Simon. Watching that in the TV show had already made me so uncomfortable but reading it made it even worse. Also the fact that she never saw anything wrong with it. She is so nasty and the worst female character I have ever read. I feel so bad for Simon.

anovelstart's review against another edition

I was not expecting so much sex in the book. I don't mind it in a book, but it took me by surprise and I think the story would have been better with less. I ended up skipping forward a few times due to this.
The actual story was good, especially the epilogue. I love historical fiction.
I would consider reading the rest of the series if I thought there'd me less sex :-/ I don't think it's worth chancing though.

solmonti's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

thebookcoyote's review against another edition

This was my first Julia Quinn book - and I will be hunting up all the others I can find! This book was charming, witty and tender, all at the same time. The relationship between Simon and Daphne was given proper time to build, and neither character was perfect - both displaying quite obvious faults - Simon for brooding and not allowing himself to forget the past, Daphne for fairly obvious selfishness in the scene were she takes advantage of Simon's drunkeness (although not of him, exactly). Another charming part of this book are the presence of Daphne's brothers and sisters - all seven of them - who all have their own books later, but are all developing individual characteristics already. I wish that she had given a little more time to Simon coming around at the end, but that's really the only problem I have with this book. Can't wait to read the rest!

kaytiekirk's review against another edition

TW: Sexual assault/rape, rape under the influence of alcohol.

I will say the Netflix show did a pretty great job of doing this book justice. I actually liked that the point of view flipped seamlessly through both Daphne and Simon. It was still a little astonishing to read about Daphne’s assault to him. I guess for the time period it probably happened, but it still rubbed me wrong that it was pretty quickly glazed over in the story line and that they both (Simon and Daphne) internally questioned if it “truly” was that wrong / justifying the rape. Other than that it was a very easy read and you really feel like you’re in their time period.

megs154's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

Funny light-hearted and enjoyable.
The narrator took some time to get used to. I'm not a huge fan of that tone of voice. Old English equals boring to me and for such a fun book.... Anyway.

beachbagbooks's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

luminadragon's review against another edition

Boring. Terrible.

rania1199's review against another edition

This started off as my favorite romance I’ve read so far....then it was ruined by one scene