Star Trek: Boldly Go #8, by Megan Levens, Mike Johnson

literaryillusions's review against another edition

Another delightful Star Trek comic. Fun, fast and entertaining. Lots of easter eggs from various incarnations of the greater ST universe characters without reading like it is trying to add things that don't mesh.

cathepsut's review against another edition

A re-telling of the TOS episode "Operation: Annihilate!", with the crew of Start Trek AOS. Therefore the story of Jim‘s brother Sam has slight differences to the original. Again, for obvious reasons, no surprises. Aka pretty boring, if you know Star Trek.

The artwork is better than in volume 1, but still not stellar.

Followed by „Vulcan‘s Vengeance“, a new story following the events of the Narada and the destruction of Vulcan. It was ok. Nice idea, pretty sedate storytelling. Not terribly exciting.

msteasam's review against another edition

This was fun! Lovely art and an engaging storyline, but nothing too groundbreaking.

birdmanseven's review against another edition

Props for doing a full arc, but the premise wore thin almost before it began.

birdmanseven's review against another edition

I loved this. The story picks up after Beyond and puts the crew in interesting and believable new situations. The story keeps strong continuity with the movies and even the earlier IDW series. I'm hooked.

I discus this further in this episode of the All the Books Show: https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/episode-176-the-end-of-2018

kikiandarrowsfishshelf's review

This take off of Babel doesn't quite work, though it is nice to see Jaylah.

kikiandarrowsfishshelf's review against another edition

Very enjoyable version of the Trouble with Tribbles.

buggy's review against another edition

I blasted through this super quickly, will definitely be on the look out for more in the future. Made my star trek beyond loving heart sing, and the art style is awesome. Especially loved the Romulan/Federation politics and Kirk's new lieutenant was a very compelling character.

taaya's review against another edition

Now that was some crazy shit.
I kinda wonder why they didn't meet TOS-Kirk and Spock. Does that mean, that I was right in my assessment that time travel in Trek does NOT create new universes (as it has never done that before) and that therefore the PrimeVerse was wiped out?

Anyway, this was fun. Though it seriously lacked a Spirk-universe. Honestly. Unlimited number of universes and Roddenberry saying that those two are in love with another, and still in every universe this Spock only loved Uhura? That's almost insulting to both the concept of unlimited possibilities and Roddenberry and Pre-AOS-fans.

But apart from that it was a fun read.

mskennedyreads's review against another edition

I enjoyed this a lot. I like the Borg interactions and it makes sense in this timeline.
I didn't like how easily they learned about and defeated the Borg, come on. And to bring back an assimilated human? Don't like the way neutering of this terrifying enemy. Also didn't like the continued traumatizing of Sulu's family. Yorktown was enough. I didn't like the art in the last issue though.
I did like it though. The characters felt authentic. Can't wait to see what happens with the Tal Shiar and the Romulan!