In the Middle of Somewhere, by Roan Parrish

atheresa's review

To me, Daniel came across immature and girly. Rex just came across strange. There wasn't much relationship development between the two. It felt too YA. Daniel's constant recycling inner dialogue drove me batty. DNF

femme55's review

I have a crush on Daniel and Rex. Daniel does make me sad though - mostly because of his family life and his loneliness.

holly_hayes's review

Do you prefer your stories to be slow-burn, or do you want them to jump right into the action?

My first book by Roan Parrish (but not my last, I immediately downloaded the second book in the series after finishing this) brought a whole lot of both. I don't think it takes more than a chapter or two before the author writes her first sex scene. If you like a good M/M romance, these are really well done. But her sex scenes are more than just sex. In every single one of them, there is a passion and closeness between the characters that I haven't found in many other writer's work.

In the Middle of Somewhere brings us Daniel, a literature professor who has a chip on his shoulder, and Rex, a quiet woodsman with his own secrets. There is a story to how they mee, but it is the story of them joining their hearts that keeps you reading.

The author puts the same feeling and heart into falling in love. She really captures the vulnerability and uncertainty of the characters. You don't just read about the love between these two. You feel it in your gut.

This is a single POV story, but you understand the depth of feeling of both characters. I kept waiting to hear Rex's side, but in the end, I did not need it. They are good people trying to make it in a world that has not been kind. There is a beauty and a wistfulness to this story that I will not soon forget.

erli's review

Surprisingly good. I almost outright rejected the book, because I am one for the slow burn, but I gritted my teeth and continued reading. I was surprised to find myself smiling and even tearing up a little.

avidreader6's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful lighthearted reflective medium-paced

azelius's review

Dnf @28%

It's boring me and the atmospheric type of writing isn't enough to make me overlook the instalove

liza5326's review

It's been so long since I first read this that it was like a brand new book. The narrator was perfect and I honestly liked it better the second time around. Rex and Daniel are just so sweet and so perfect together. There are some hot as hell moments and a some moments that had me wiping away a stray tear or tear, just how I like my books.

lillybus's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

words_i_read's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted reflective sad tense slow-paced

chrisistrangerthanu's review

This book was just absolutely gorgeous and the characters all just seemed so damn human, it made my heart ache. I wanted to cry for Dan and his family life, it was such an honest portrayal of a dysfunctional family and it was so emotionally raw. The whole story in fact had a feeling of rawness to it and an honesty which really sets it apart from other romances I've read recently. I hope the author is planning some sequels because I need to know more about a lot of the secondary characters and I'll be bitterly disappointed if there's no further resolution.