It Starts with Us by Colleen Hoover

kaylajean324's review

I was told to give this one a chance after disliking the first. This one was sweet but it didn’t add much to the story. It didn’t develop characters much (except Atlas but he wasn’t central to the first book in my opinion). In fact, it just made Lily  irritating.

jadynright's review

this whole book broke me.

what the hell.

i wanted atlas and lily, but i didn't know i needed them like this!!!

naunalynn20's review

I’ll forever be grateful that a sequel was made to “It Ends With Us” but I am a little disappointed in how the ending felt rushed with this book. I’m glad both Atlas and Lily got their happily ever after but I wish I had more time to live in that moment with them…if that makes sense?¿

Overall it was a good book and I’m glad I was able to get some closure with the “continued” storyline.

vandarpapi's review

Why did I expect anything out of it? This is just some fan service after the huge success of 'It Ends With Us' over the years in various media platforms. Hey, I like the previous one, I honestly gave it four stars. But the fact that its substance is empty and just shoves you in with it makes this book tacky and boring. The end product looks like a generic family-parties-involved romance fiction. And I'm afraid it doesn't exceed that.

I questioned myself if a sequel is that important to begin with, if not for Atlas' perspective in the series. I think the better aspect of this novel goes to his character, as I kind of imagine that the title serves him well (with his tragic past that leads to his present life, it's intriguing). But in contrast with Lily, hers haven't got character development for some reason that she is still secretive about her dating Atlas, when in fact her ex-husband Ryle has no power to change over it (even he and Atlas would fight over it because they're rivals).

I couldn't hold my disappointment to it as this sequel might have just butchered the two-book series. It Starts With Us loses its charm and enjoyment that got me hooked from Book One. Well from my standpoint, this book is pointless, to begin with, other than just paying homage to the author's million readers across multiple platforms that truly love the first book to death. And sadly, I'm not one of them.

readingwithpea's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

Can someone please get me a real life Atlas.
This book was everything I personally expected. I loved how Lily grew as a character and how she overcame her fears and how she finally got her happy ending. Lily's character just showed us how difficult it is to go through an abusive relationship, leave an abusive relationship and deal with the aftermath especially if there's a child involved. Atlas was so supportive of Lily and I think he's the ideal book boyfriend. Ryle is such an assh*le!! I hate him so much, I've never liked him and I never will. The way he blamed people for his actions was absolutely mind boggling.
The book was such a good way to end off the "series" because we got to see more of Atlas and what he went through, through his eyes. It starts with us was great in many aspects but I do however wish we got to see more interactions between Atlas and Emerson, I think that would've been such a wonderful plot point.
I would definitely recommend this book and these characters will forever hold a special place in my heart 💓.

emmahgunn's review

Colleen Hoover writes at the end of this book: “It Ends with Us is the one book I have been adamant that I would never write a sequel for. I felt like it ended where it needed to end…”.

Put simply, Colleen Hoover was instinctively right. This was a sequel that did not need to be written. Poor read. 2/5 stars.

saraelisa's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective sad fast-paced

luisamromao's review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

annakilgas's review

Interesting story as it relates to the ongoing healing and unlearning when one leaves their abuser. The direct contrast between Atlas and Lile as a partner was a clear message. The love story with Atlas was cheesy but also sweet. Characters felt a bit two dimensional.

bdunks's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced