plethora's review

challenging informative tense medium-paced

It is clear throughout this book that Ronan Farrow respects and has great admiration for survivors, and the profession of journalism alike. I credit him for his work bringing these stories to light, and for his perseverance through the events described in this book. It is a monstrous feat in itself to unravel the web of conspiracy spun between these institutions in the first place, let alone to then make it make sense for the reader. A world that allows this
Spoilersexual commodification of its female workforce
after all, is hard to make sense of.

There are innumerable players involved in these events, and I found it difficult to keep track of everyone's roles. I'm sure this is at least in part by design, if not by the author than by the institutions themselves. I would have benefitted from an organizational chart in many cases. The fragmented telling of this story, while more digestible in its format (and perhaps an indication of the varied articles, segments, and posts that started it all), felt like a choice rather than a necessity. There were times I wished these pieces were brought together differently for a more cohesive work. In terms of the structure, there were times timeline was favoured over subject matter, though this was inconsistent. It was a story in 59 parts. Sorry, 5 parts, 59 chapters, and subdivided further from there. Digestible, mentally helpful, a bit unearned.

All in all, this is an important read. Farrow wasn't afraid to drive the point home in many passages in a way that felt like some small justice in itself during such reeling events. The spark of resistance brought some comfort. He called it like it was in a way that is reminiscent of Chanel Miller. Calling a spade a spade, calling people on their bullshit, staring the message between the lines in the eyes, and yelling it back at them. Engraving it on the record.

It feels good knowing there's someone like Ronan Farrow helping to bear the weight of this crushing patriarchy for us all.

Shoutout
SpoilerMcHugh. Best dad ever.

kveldt's review against another edition

dark emotional informative sad tense medium-paced

lfbennett407's review against another edition

emotional informative sad fast-paced

irma_sincera's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative tense medium-paced

*not me watching every interview with Ronan Farrow*

Niekas manęs labiau neužveda kaip faktai.
Super frustrating knyga, neapsakomai reikalinga. Galime manyti, kad šios temos mūsų užmirštam kampely neaktualios, bet tai vyksta visur. Knyga sunki emociškai, tiršta informacijos gausa.
Apart tematikos, dar visa ta žurnalistinė virtuvė pavaizduota taip atvirai ir nuogai. Tiesiog *chefs kiss*.

texasdennys's review against another edition

dark reflective sad medium-paced

I mean it’s obviously excellent. It kinda lost steam after the Weinstein article is published (which was weirdly anticlimactic in the narrative of the novel), I didn’t find the last 50 pages super engaging personally. But still a must read. Ronan Farrow is an American hero

maddiet425's review against another edition

challenging dark informative mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

goodolmc's review against another edition

emotional informative tense medium-paced

katarina's review against another edition

dark informative medium-paced

I enjoyed the first part of the book, up until the story gets published. However, the subsequent story of the fallout at NBC wasn't all that interesting to me. But the story was eye-opening. I did not follow the #metoo movement too closely, so I was not aware of just how widespread this behaviour was in Hollywood.

ronniereadsregularly's review

dark emotional informative inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced

amandareed7474's review

dark informative inspiring reflective fast-paced