plethora's review

challenging informative tense medium-paced

It is clear throughout this book that Ronan Farrow respects and has great admiration for survivors, and the profession of journalism alike. I credit him for his work bringing these stories to light, and for his perseverance through the events described in this book. It is a monstrous feat in itself to unravel the web of conspiracy spun between these institutions in the first place, let alone to then make it make sense for the reader. A world that allows this
Spoilersexual commodification of its female workforce
after all, is hard to make sense of.

There are innumerable players involved in these events, and I found it difficult to keep track of everyone's roles. I'm sure this is at least in part by design, if not by the author than by the institutions themselves. I would have benefitted from an organizational chart in many cases. The fragmented telling of this story, while more digestible in its format (and perhaps an indication of the varied articles, segments, and posts that started it all), felt like a choice rather than a necessity. There were times I wished these pieces were brought together differently for a more cohesive work. In terms of the structure, there were times timeline was favoured over subject matter, though this was inconsistent. It was a story in 59 parts. Sorry, 5 parts, 59 chapters, and subdivided further from there. Digestible, mentally helpful, a bit unearned.

All in all, this is an important read. Farrow wasn't afraid to drive the point home in many passages in a way that felt like some small justice in itself during such reeling events. The spark of resistance brought some comfort. He called it like it was in a way that is reminiscent of Chanel Miller. Calling a spade a spade, calling people on their bullshit, staring the message between the lines in the eyes, and yelling it back at them. Engraving it on the record.

It feels good knowing there's someone like Ronan Farrow helping to bear the weight of this crushing patriarchy for us all.

Shoutout
SpoilerMcHugh. Best dad ever.

annrhub's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring fast-paced

mscalls's review

challenging dark emotional informative inspiring sad tense fast-paced

ehmannky's review

dark emotional informative fast-paced

I felt that I knew the broad beats of the Weinstein story and how so many Hollywood and media powerbrokers protected him and other men who sexually assaulted, harassed and raped women. But reading this I realized I really only knew the outline because it was *so* much worse than I thought it was. I was truly horrified while reading about not only the number of assaults and the details of these assaults, but also by the lengths that people went to to cover them up and protect the perpetrators. Farrow does a fantastic job delving into the truly insidious of exposing these crimes and the coverups, and I appreciated that he highlighted that he also has grown to fully understand the ways in which these crimes hurt and continue to hurt victims, especially when no one cares to listen afterwards.

junefish's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

brigitte's review against another edition

dark emotional informative mysterious tense medium-paced