Dawn of X Vol. 2 by Benjamin Percy, Jonathan Hickman, Gerry Duggan

surfmonkey01's review

I’m basically reusing a review across this series, as it seems to hold as things go on. Overall it’s a bunch of highs and lows. Some books are consistently excellent (Marauders, X-Force, Wolverine, and it looks like X-Factor & Hellions will join that group) while some are middling to mediocre (Excalibur being the worst of the lot, plus Cable being so-so, and the main X-Men book varying in quality from one issue to the next). I’m still reading, so the overall whole is quality, and the whole setting that they’ve established is still unique and intriguing. It’s like a house of cards that we know is doomed to fall eventually, it’s just a question of when and how)

treezus's review

6/10

adriancurcher's review against another edition

Definitely more weak stories in here than strong ones. Don't think I'll be carrying on with all the dawn of X stories from here.

toffeeredraider's review

adventurous challenging dark mysterious medium-paced

common_writer's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

oilbobble's review

adventurous funny lighthearted tense fast-paced

jakes89's review

adventurous dark emotional funny medium-paced

jammasterjamie's review

I just want to say that I love how much Hickman clearly enjoys writing Roberto and Sam's life-long bromance. So much fun!

matthewclan's review

adventurous dark funny tense medium-paced

crookedtreehouse's review

I'm still enjoying the way this X-series anthology series flows, but this was a definite step down from volume one. While I'm continuing to enjoy X-Men, New Mutants, and Marauders, and think X-Force is okay, Excalibur and Fallen Angels were both pretty awful. Fallen Angels is a combination of art with too dark a color pallete, and just awful dialogue. It also reads like a story where a writer has some ideas for scenes they think are cool but can't figure out how to make them flow, so he just ... doesn't make them flow. It's very staccato, and annoying to read. Excalibur is better. If you enjoy the Marvel magic universe, it may even be pretty good. I'm just not interested in this chunk of the X-story.

While the art is of various styles in the books, and while I've mentioned my dislike of the style that's being used in Fallen Angels, none of the art in any of the titles is bad. But my favorite chapter from this volume was New Mutants. There were some great panel pops, and layout alterations that made me hungry for more of [a:Rod Reis|3857257|Rod Reis|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530.png]'s art.

If you want a fuller, wide-angle look at the Marvel mutants, reading these Dawn Of X books is really superior than reading the individual trades. But you've got two or three series that you're just not interested in, you might want to just pick out those specific titles.