rosemary_quintet's review against another edition

This book is honest, gripping, and graceful. A must-read.

jbreen13's review against another edition

dark informative fast-paced

katieoreads's review against another edition

“I was becoming inured to people contorting their bodies into the shapes of gears for Harvey Winestein’s machine.”

If you read CATCH AND KILL by Ronan Farrow, be prepared to read with your rage face on. Farrow’s investigation highlights the lengths and dramatic measures that people and institutions took to protect predators in power (like Harvey Weinstein and Matt Lauer), and it was so compelling I finished in one weekend. I didn’t know much about Ronan Farrow prior to reading this, but now I’m a giant fan and went back to watch the various interviews he referenced. I appreciated how his personal experiences made him uniquely suited to help bring this story to light despite all the road blocks he hit (his sister, Dylan, accused their father Woody Allen of sexual assault in 1992). Just this week, Ronan left his CATCH AND KILL publisher, Hachette Book Group, and employees staged a walkout when the company acquired Woody Allen’s memoir (Hachette has since dropped the book).

I so admire the women who mustered extreme courage—and risked their livelihoods—to speak out to protect others in the face of scary, powerful people and threats.

I flew through this book, but Farrow humbled me a bit. I had to stop and look up the following words I didn’t know: deimatic, insouciant, usurious, tony, scherzo, syzygy, and anodyne.

jonetta's review against another edition

In 2017, Ronan Farrow began his investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct against the now infamous Harvey Weinstein. At the time, it was just a routine assignment that I believe his network felt obliged to follow up and expected it wouldn’t go anywhere. However, Farrow isn’t that kind of journalist, the one that forms an opinion before doing the work. As he began to do his research, Farrow found more and more reason to keep digging as revelations about Weinstein fit a long term pattern of abusive behavior over decades, apparently well known inside and outside of the Hollywood community. But, the closer he came to airing the results of his groundbreaking work, the more resistance Farrow experienced from his network and those close or connected to Weinstein.

I thought I knew most of what there was to know about what happened to Ronan Farrow and his story covering the Harvey Weinstein investigation. Well before this investigation put his name in the headlines, Farrow had gotten my attention as I routinely watch NBC’s Today show and his segments were outstanding. Anytime I discovered he’d be airing a piece I made certain to watch it as the topics were relevant and the research was amazing. So, when I saw the Weinstein story show up in my The New Yorker magazine feed, I was confused. I’d just seen him on NBC two months earlier. It slowly dawned on me what had probably happened...they refused to air the story. Later when the network stated that it “wasn’t ready” when it was presented to them, I knew it for the lie it was. That’s not a biased opinion...it’s an informed one. It’s impossible for the story he filed with The New Yorker to have progressed that significantly in two months, the last time I’d seen Farrow on the network. It made me angry and for a long time, Farrow remained silent about the network’s role.

Sharing my perspective above is important for context. Yes, I had a bias and it was based on what I’d rooted out myself. However, what really happened was much, much worse than I’d concluded. It’s so bad that I’m struggling to continue watching the Today show, which falls under the leadership of those with the dirty hands in this story. However, Andrew Lack, the chairman of NBC News and MSNBC, was forced to resign two days ago and major changes in the network leadership were made, long overdue. I’ll give them a short time to implement change because now more than ever, integrity in news reporting is paramount.

I’d expected someone as powerful as Weinstein to exert his will in thwarting Farrow’s investigation and he indeed pulled out all the stops. But what was more astounding were the identity of lots of his enablers and the sinister tactics used to intimidate Farrow. I promise you’ll be let down in some instances (there’s significant coverage of Matt Lauer’s downfall, too). Farrow narrates his own story, which makes a difference as he adds the inflections and heightened emotions where he experienced them. At times, parts of the story sounds like inside baseball information but I was able to keep up as he does provide clarity. This is an important story as it gives background, raw and seemingly unfiltered, to one of the most important stories of our time. Farrow doesn’t pull any punches about himself and his motives either, which further deepens the story’s authenticity. I believe him. 4.5 stars

Posted on Blue Mood Café

camylladuarte's review against another edition

dark informative fast-paced

graceteri's review

dark emotional informative reflective sad tense medium-paced

nspringer11's review against another edition

I thought I had a pretty full picture of the story. It turns out I had barely a clue of the lengths people will go to cover up big and powerful men. The amount of anger and frustration felt while listening to this book and the suffering of so many people made me physically stop the recording and take many calming breaths.

Spies, mystery, heartbreak, and a deep look inside this story makes this book a fantastic read.

anks14's review against another edition

Przerazajace, jak pieniadze i wplywy poteguja poczucie bezkarnosci. Przerazajace tym bardziej, ze dla wielu te przypadki molestowania za molestowanie by nie zostaly uznane - bo przeciez dalej tam pracowala, nie bronila sie, nie mowila, spotykala sie dalej.

oleksandr's review against another edition

This is a non-fic written by an investigative reporter on his struggle to bring crimes of a supposed sexual predator and Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein. While the topic is definitely important and there are interesting moments, I felt that the book is too long with too much information of low importance, which affects my final rating.

The author, Ronan Farrow is a son of Woody Allen and sides with his sister Dylan in accusations of Allen in molesting 7 y.o. Dylan (his other sisters and brothers support their father and accuse mother, Mia Farrer in inventing the story and impressing it on a young girl. Read wiki for more, from what I see its quite a crazy family). While working for NBC he started the investigation but despite (or due to) the initial success in gathering materials, the company decided to bury the story. The title of the book is based on the following passage: “One after another, the AMI employees used the same phrase to describe this practice of purchasing a story in order to bury it. It was an old term in the tabloid industry: “catch and kill.””

While the author did his investigation, he was investigated too, by the Black Cube company formed by former Israel special forces, which uses semi-legal methods to tarnish image of targets or force them to shut up. And northing in the US these days can be done without Ukrainians – here a freelance sleuth hired by Black Cube become a whistle-blower and uncovered ‘spy part’ of the story.

srsneve's review against another edition

dark informative tense medium-paced