mari_books's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative sad tense medium-paced

I didn’t expect to be as captivated by this book as I was. Farrow narrates this true story with incredible seriousness and attention to details. The first half of the book builds up Farrows reporting of the Weinstein story, kind of a slow burn about all the obstacles they face. The second half of the book is like an avalanche, everything comes together quickly and devastatingly sudden. It takes the breaking news items you vaguely remember from a few years ago and rebreaks them.  You realize the depth and reach of power, and how law, media and politics are tools for power. It’s uncanny how the topic of abuse of power in media/Hollywood has developed since the publishing of this book (Farrows prediction) as more worms come out of the apple.

madelonpaige's review against another edition

challenging dark informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

gracejesch's review against another edition

dark informative reflective medium-paced

ehmannky's review against another edition

dark emotional informative fast-paced

I felt that I knew the broad beats of the Weinstein story and how so many Hollywood and media powerbrokers protected him and other men who sexually assaulted, harassed and raped women. But reading this I realized I really only knew the outline because it was *so* much worse than I thought it was. I was truly horrified while reading about not only the number of assaults and the details of these assaults, but also by the lengths that people went to to cover them up and protect the perpetrators. Farrow does a fantastic job delving into the truly insidious of exposing these crimes and the coverups, and I appreciated that he highlighted that he also has grown to fully understand the ways in which these crimes hurt and continue to hurt victims, especially when no one cares to listen afterwards.

krys's review

challenging dark emotional informative reflective tense medium-paced