mari_books's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative sad tense medium-paced

I didn’t expect to be as captivated by this book as I was. Farrow narrates this true story with incredible seriousness and attention to details. The first half of the book builds up Farrows reporting of the Weinstein story, kind of a slow burn about all the obstacles they face. The second half of the book is like an avalanche, everything comes together quickly and devastatingly sudden. It takes the breaking news items you vaguely remember from a few years ago and rebreaks them.  You realize the depth and reach of power, and how law, media and politics are tools for power. It’s uncanny how the topic of abuse of power in media/Hollywood has developed since the publishing of this book (Farrows prediction) as more worms come out of the apple.

aya1081's review

dark informative reflective tense fast-paced

lnielsen's review

challenging dark informative mysterious tense fast-paced

cfell's review against another edition

dark emotional tense fast-paced

scripturient's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective slow-paced

polkadotgirl's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective tense slow-paced

I found this book to be both extremely interesting and extremely angering, but of course, with the subject matter it explores it was wound to be. I just couldn't have imagined the depths of what the conspiracies and the cover ups would be. I think Ronan Farrow does a great job with mixing the more formal aspects of this book with some personal and more introspective perspectives, because it alleviated some of the frustration while reading the story.

I do have to say, however, that his narration style wasn't really for me. I found that at times it felt too forced or "fiction"-y and it took me away from the reality of the story.

rainamertz's review

dark emotional informative inspiring tense fast-paced

chelsearm's review

challenging dark informative tense fast-paced

Farrow tells the stories of the women who came forward against Harvey Weinstein, Trump, and Matt Lauer. I found this audiobook, read by Farrow, to be an informative account of the hurdles put in place for a journalist (even a well-known name like Farrow’s) to report the truth, and the deadly nature of powerful men.

angelasosh's review against another edition

dark informative reflective tense medium-paced

Ronan Farrow details his reporting on the Harvey Weinstein scandal with care and honesty. His dedication to publish this story despite the backlash, coverups, and conspiracies is admirable and something I hope other reporters aspire to. He handles the sensitive topic of sexual abuse and assault with care while also not shying away from the details of what actually happened. He is also clear about his sources and I believe he vetted everything he possibly could to maintain integrity in his reporting. Would def recommend this to anybody and everybody.

nicpeyton's review against another edition

challenging informative tense medium-paced