Dividing Eden by Joelle Charbonneau

sel21's review

Actual rating: 1.5⭐️
I skimmed this book more than I actually read it, in attempt to avoid adding it to my DNF shelf. But as much as I love The Testing trilogy, this was absolutely awful.

apersons's review

slow at first, but i came to love it. the sibling connection between carys and andreus in this book is unreal.

undermeyou's review

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

aislinnoc's review

Not sure anyone in this book is actually likeable. Larkin for monarch?

read2menow's review

The book was confusing when I started it. I did not gain interest as I finished the book. This book is example of switching perspectives, but not done well in my opinion.

zanybibliophile's review against another edition

I am going to start by saying that I want to read the second book before I make any final judgements on this book but, for now, all I have is this book. It was odd. Good, but odd. It took reading half of the book before I got a somewhat clear idea of what was going on and that only revieled how crazy the situation was. Assassinations, druggings, the need for disguises to talk to friends - all of it seemed crazy yet essential to the plot.
Clarys and Andreus are odd little characters and they seem to be surrounded by weird, manipulative characters that wish to only use the royal twins as pawns in a game. I feel like I was lied to for 318 pages by both the prince and princess as nothing seems to add up. I am hoping this will be cleared up in the second book and I am interested to see where the story goes.

ameserole's review

OH MY FREAKING GOD!

Okay, first I finished this book like 6 days ago and I'm just now getting to this review.
Second, I loved everything about this book! No, really I did.
Third, I kind of want to reread it again.. right now.

Before I dive into this review: I really REALLY want/need the next book ASAP!

This book will probably most likely remind you of other books like, [b:An Ember in the Ashes|27774758|An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)|Sabaa Tahir|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1449158871s/27774758.jpg|39113604] or I guess in some ways [b:Three Dark Crowns|28374007|Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)|Kendare Blake|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1469265712s/28374007.jpg|42750582] (because it deals with twins going for the crown).

I also have a love/hate relationship with the twins. Loved Cary's character and hated the shit out of her brother, Andreus. Okay, hold up, what kind of name is Andreus. Like why give the girl such a god damn normal ass name and then him this snotty kind of name?!?! I don't know but I guess that's why I like the sister more. No, not because of their names but their personalities. God, Cary cared so much about her brother and protecting him at all cost. Whereas, he was just a little dipshit who I hated so much.

Besides the twins, you will probably end up loving or liking Larkin, Errik, and Garret. They are all pretty interesting characters that will make the book more intriguing. Anyone else you could probably forget - because I definitely did.

Even though I love this book I feel like I should warn people about the first half of the book. Yes, it's kind of boring. Don't DNF it because, trust me, it get's way freaking better. If you really want to DNF it then who am I to judge?

Other than that, some things were kind of predictable. For example, who the "bad guy" was in this book. Yeah, I kind of figured it out/guessed it pretty early on. It definitely helped that I didn't like the person to begin with so it didn't really change my opinion on that certain character.

Overall, I liked it. I wish the first half would have been better.
Would I reread it? Heck yeah because I can't wait for the next book! Also I really need to read the novella too! UGH! so many freaking books I need to read!

vidhi26p's review

This was a pretty short fantasy novel. I'm sorry to say, it's not one of Charbonneau's best works. Need and The Testing were marvelous, which is perhaps why I came into this with high expectations. The novel starts out quite slow but I staggered through it. Things start picking up once the trials begin, the pace speeds up insanely. But my three-star rating is due to the fact of the lack of details and care in the second half of the novel. Some of the events occurring, some of the character's sudden change in alliance seems inorganic and fake. Many events were skimmed over and the ending was just...meh. Nevertheless, I shall be reading the sequel.

sweetreads111's review against another edition

Too slow and boring.

shxwnx's review

i had previously read the Testing trilogy from this author and loved it so i wanted to try another book from her

this one was really good too. i resonated with Carys and her desire to protect her brother at all costs.

i also loved Lord Errik but i can’t decide if he should be trusted or not

4/5