Dusk, Night, Dawn: On Revival and Courage, by Anne Lamott

1gudbuk's review

Anne feels as if she is a soul sister of mine. She always speaks to me. I never tire of her true, real, heartfelt stories.

miguelcc's review

funny inspiring reflective medium-paced

plottwisttravels's review

challenging funny hopeful reflective medium-paced

stephskees's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

myreadingreflections's review

funny hopeful inspiring reflective

Love Anne Lamott

booksnailmail's review

hopeful reflective relaxing medium-paced

Thank you @riverheadbooks for this gorgeous copy of Anne Lamott’s latest book.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Written during COVID, celebrating her marriage, and lamenting life - this series of essays is as tessellated as we might be feeling now. Lamott’s version of courage isn’t to point out the silver linings - those blaring deceptions... Rather, Lamott talks about the anxieties that emerge through life and maybe never go away. Perhaps age intensifies it , but the wisdom Lamott taps into is exceptional.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Something about this has a raw edge compared to Lamott’s earlier books, as if in the third third of her life she said ‘eff it’ and told her truth. The only other Lamott I have read is Bird by Bird, which is instructional and rosy in comparison to this one. DND retains her trademark wry humor and connection to nature and spirituality, but with an undercurrent of the mature and tender. I felt cared for by these essays, not instructed. Like a reflection that applies to everyone by virtue of being born.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I recommend this collection to fans of Mary Oliver or would like more Lamott in their lives, albeit a more emo version 😝

myohmicah's review

hopeful lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

storied76's review

funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

campbeje10's review

inspiring reflective medium-paced

loudgls89's review

challenging emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

I had a copy of this book as an ARC from NetGalley, the cover drew me right in, and the blurb seemed like it could be a very well timed book for me:

” How do we get through dark times when we feel like giving in to fear and despair, and when existential dread has convinced us of our smallness? “

Unfortunately, the style of the book was not my cup of tea. It was written kind of like a stream of consciousness, and I found that the author changed the subject what seemed like quite randomly at times. I found it quite hard to follow and even harder to find a connection to the book to keep me enthused to keep reading.

I think this is a reflection on me, not the book though. I can definitely see how for some people this would be a lovely book with a lot of insight to bring.

Part memoir and reflection on life following her recent marriage, and part a lesson on hope and restoration in turbulent times, the author had many good points that I saved as quotes into my notes as I was reading.

The author talks a lot about her experiences in Sunday school which I could definitely relate to, and I loved this quote:

“If you want to help kids fall in love with God, help them fall in love with nature”

For me though, I don’t feel like the book quite lived up to what I was expecting from the blurb. I was expecting to come away with some techniques for coping with dark times, but I think because of my lack of connection to the book I just didn’t get that.

I’m giving this book 3 stars because I can see how it could be the perfect book for other people, but it just wasn’t for me unfortunately.