Come Home, Indio: A Memoir by Jim Terry

mollylovesbooks's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

thomasr417's review

dark emotional inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

freeformlady's review

dark emotional reflective sad slow-paced

kamckim's review

I just finished COME HOME, INDIO. All I can say is a humble thanks to Jim Terry. I checked the Eisner Award page. Kind of surprised that he wasn't among the 2021 nominees or winners. This memoir could make a powerful impact. Terry's style is a step above traditional graphic novel style. Even when it's a bit ugly, it's art. I also snorted out loud at least 3 times at some of the more self-effacing humor amidst some of his darkest times. Terry switches to a more narrative format when it comes to his involvement at the Standing Rock community, but it works. It feels like Act 5 after a crescendo of low points and an Act 4 concerned with making amends. But it ends the way a comedic Act 5 should end - powerfully and peacefully. Some readers don't like peaceful endings, but I was rooting for Jim during the entire book, and it was satisfying to see him get to a new, as of yet, unwritten, point in his life. This is a totally likeable graphic novel.

saidtheraina's review

Such an evocative depiction of lifelong trauma.

I think the part of this book that will stand out for me is how Terry describes how set he was against drinking because of what he experienced as a kid, and the chain of events that lead to his own alcoholism. It's vivid, heartbreaking, doesn't make sense, and makes so much sense, all at once.
I also appreciated the nuance in how he describes his relationship with his mother. She comes up (obviously) throughout the book, and is painted in a genuine, complicated, real way.

The illustrations are all in an alternative comix style that others can probably gene-map better than I can. Reminded me a little bit of [a: Howard Cruse|90669|Howard Cruse|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1574874678p2/90669.jpg], but without the bubbles. All black and white, mostly bordered panels. Part 5 diverts significantly and tells the story of visiting Standing Rock in full-page spreads and paragraphs of text.

Affecting, real. Everything I want a memoir to be.

awesomejen2's review

dark emotional slow-paced

jessereadsthings's review

dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

susannekennedy's review

challenging dark emotional reflective sad tense fast-paced

ktxx22's review

More like 4.5 stars.

sofiwithaphd's review

challenging dark emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

Heartbreakingly human.