The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water, by Zen Cho

xbbyand's review against another edition

4.5 stars, rounded up

taking off .5 just because i agree with most people that i think this would’ve worked a lot better as a full-length novel rather than a novella. i feel like i just wanted more out of it but only because i loved what i was reading so much

would not mind more queer found-family wuxia in my life if I’m being honest :’)

nineteen_adze's review against another edition

About 3.5 stars for me-- it's a pretty engaging story and a good size for a novella (also like the Malaysian-style setting). The ending is a little sudden, but overall enjoyable as a slice-of-life road trip and identity story. RTC.

kaymax's review

Without the twist in the middle, this would have been a 2-star-read for me.

I know with a novella you're really having to make choices and sacrifices to stay within the word limit, but I think the author made the wrong ones. The story is very character-focused, but a lot of the words are used to create the universe instead. I think we could've done with knowing less of the world to have more characterization.
At the end of it, I still couldn't tell apart most characters except the three chief ones in the band of bandits.

I really enjoyed the twist in the middle though. It turned the main character from a 5 to a 10 instantly. And the ending was fun but felt like it should lead to more but then the novella stops.

A quick read, a little confusing in the beginning, some issues, but ideal if you want to read something bite-sized as a palette cleanser between bigger novels.

hayward6291's review

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced

blueballade's review

bookitwithbecca's review

Another zippy, entertaining fantasy from Zen Cho! This fantasy novella drops you right in on the action and does some impressive world-building in a brief amount of time. I may not have connected emotionally, but it was a fun, easy read — and it made me laugh, which is always appreciate

queenstheif's review against another edition

Great worldbuilding. I was so intrigued after reading the excellent first few chapters, but then I couldn't ever picture or follow what was happening and felt really lost. I would love to give it another try, though.

berrymilkshake's review

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

kodafaith's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

sealana's review

Too many characters for me to truly become attached to them, but the story was well-paced and the two mains were a delight to read. It's one of these short stories that makes me wish I could read more of this world because it just seems so vivid.