Reviews for Enter a Murderer, by Ngaio Marsh, James Saxom

kpeninger's review against another edition

Well, THAT was a whole lot better than the first one! By leaps and bounds! Also: a theatre mystery where THE AUTHOR REMEMBERED TECHIES ARE PEOPLE! (I'm not surprised, given Marsh's background, but still - there were people other than actors! Who got to speak! Even a little!)

toblerowl's review

lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

tarana's review against another edition

Published in 1935, this is still a very good story. Detective witnesses a murder on the stage. I listened to the audiobook. The narrator is great! This is the second book of this series I have listened to and I will be listening to more!

zwilde's review

dark mysterious medium-paced

robinwalter's review

adventurous mysterious relaxing medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

mirnajj's review against another edition

I tried.
I really did.
But it’s just not my cup of tea.

pogodragon's review against another edition

Another very convoluted plot with a lot of not very sharply drawn characters. Maybe it's my habit of reading in bed before I go to sleep, but trying to keep the list of who was doing what and to whom clear in my brain took more effort than I honestly think this kind of book is worth. I have the next one on my Kindle as well so I'll read that then maybe think about whether I'm going to carry on with more of them or not.

arianarosel8982's review against another edition

I discovered Ngaio Marsh in college and at the time I liked her Inspector Alleyn better than Christie or Sayers. I still enjoyed this book, bit I tend to like slower character driven mysteries better than these golden age plot driven whodunnits. One of the best things about these books is the humor, Inspector Alleyn is very funny!

whimsicalmeerkat's review

Enjoyable brain candy. The series is growing on me, but it will never be more than just light fun. I'm good with that.

thereadinghobbit's review

It's always such a relief when I read crime novels written by women. Because I like crime, especially the older kind (without the ridicuously short chapters and the constant need to up the shock value) but they're always riddled with sexism and flat female characters. Now I have to say that this book doesn't feature many female characters, but at least they're not all femme fatales or puritan school girls. And the male characters don't have that strange old fashioned kind of desperation to appear 'masculine'. All in all, it's a relief. The story itself was good but not exceptional, although I think it was based on a true crime case, so that might have been why it felt a little muddled. That said, I still felt like I couldn't figure out who the murderer was, until it was revealed, so that's a plus in a murder mystery novel. The writing is clean and clear and perfectly suitable for a crime story, but because it was written in the 30s some slang/expressions confused me somewhat. I really enjoyed this book and will be picking up more of Marsh's work!