nd2712's review

There's been a trend recently of books that celebrate women of history and write little excerpts about them that reveal their place in history that's more often than not been glossed over. From 'Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls' to '21 Women of British History', the genre is starting to become vastly oversaturated- enough that it's difficult to have any kind of differentiation between these books. This one is different.
Rather than just talking about different women, this one gives you reasons why they're badass, reasons why they stood out amongst others in their fields and during the periods of time they were alive. For example- 'Mae West and body positivity' is one of my personal favourites, purely because I've done a lot of work on females in film and how they work against stereotype. This book will make you feel better about the world. It'll make you look at everyone from Coco Chanel to Frida Kahlo and examine what made those women great and how much they have in common with women of today. I think it's an excellent read for ladies of any age. It'll teach you how to win at life- but generally, just make you feel a little better about the state of the world.

wordshaker12's review against another edition

3.5/5

Enjoyed the mix of women’s stories included, especially ones I’d never heard of, but the writing made me cringe a lot.

zoeholman's review

Entry level feminism. I loved the idea behind the book, but the reliance of pop culture and modern day slang cheapened the whole thing for me; those relations will be irrelevant and dated in 5 years. Feels like a book designed for young teens who maybe haven't been introduced to the concept of intersectional feminism. Don't love the idea of someone into eugenics being hailed as a #girlboss!!!! And didn't love the slightly judgey tone the book took overall towards modern women. Some parts interesting but thoroughly meh.

miamia1's review against another edition

funny hopeful informative inspiring medium-paced

Interesting overview of 50 strong women in history. Lighthearted and also funny

sarahvernall's review

Charming mini bios of forty-nine exceptional women (and Nazi collaborator Coco Chanel. Which. Dodgy choice there). Similar to Jason Porath's Rejected Princesses canon but falls a bit short of those masterpieces.

neverlandpages4's review against another edition

informative fast-paced

itsneverbecky's review against another edition

This struck me as a great book for teenage girls but it’s a great read for anyone looking for awesome female role models. I particularly liked that it didn’t skirt around the less than savoury (or feminist) aspects of the women it portrays - holding women, & our past, to a standard higher than that expected of men isn’t feminism. And these awesome authors don’t beat around the bush. I felt much more educated & galvanised to be unapologetically me after reading this.

marta97's review against another edition

Absolutely amazing and inspirational.
Full review to come.

aarora's review against another edition

informative inspiring lighthearted

circlesofflame's review

This book had a weird, slightly uncomfortable, tone... increasingly common against feminist texts trying to be what they think of as modern, with wry humour oozing off the page.

This book didn't discuss anyone that I wasn't already aware of or tell me anything I didn't already know. In that sense, it might be a good introduction to the topic, if you're not put off by judgemental digs and poor attempts at humour.