marta97's review against another edition

Absolutely amazing and inspirational.
Full review to come.

thefatflatcat's review against another edition

I read the first half of it in one day, as it's easy to get sucked in! The chapters /stories are super short, so it's definitely motivating you to read one after the other. I liked that lots of women were introduced that I had heard of, but never had had the chance to investigate their stories in more detail. Generally, the writing was entertaining and witty, also the drawings of each person at the chapter openings fit the book nicely.

What I could have done without were the gimmicky references to social media and current-day pop culture. It would have been an absolutely marvellous book if the authors had decided to keep it a historical collection of lesser known female figures. The bits where they wrote about inspiration we can take from different people's stories were sometimes painfully farfetched. Also, in my opinion people who were involved in antisemitism shouldn't be lauded for whatever inventions they were responsible for, they do not deserve to be displayed in a book. (Of course, there are no such people that are ever only good or evil, but I feel like antisemitism and rascism need to be treated differently.)

Regardless, I enjoyed myself and this reminded me of how much I am actually interested in history. It made me want to read more memoirs/ history-based books! (Also, thanks for the gift, Sandra! I'm happy I got to read this :) )

roseofoulesfame's review

Deceptively light and frothy at first glance, this is an inspiring and educational read that every feminist (regardless of age, gender or background) should have on their bookshelves (I'm already planning to buy my brothers their own copy).

Gives you a potted history of 50 women from various times and places, each story told focussing on a different struggle that women have faced and continue to face. It doesn't give you one-size-fits-all pat answers, but it does give you something that is, perhaps, more valuable - encouragement.

mariemeng's review

This book is a great reminder of what women have achieved. It is as it claims easy to read, but delivers many relevant informations about female achievement in history.

_claraisreading_'s review against another edition

informative inspiring medium-paced

catia_fer's review

hopeful informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

nightresplendent's review against another edition

What Would Boudicca Do? by Elizabeth Foley and Beth Coates should be required reading for every teenage girl (and boy)!

Telling the stories of 51 women over 298 pages, it is all at once witty, sad, rousing and educational. It is a celebration of women from all time periods and walks of life, and it teaches, with a healthy dash of humour, all that women are capable of.

While I may not have liked every woman featured in the book, I can understand why they were included and each was as enjoyable to read about as the next.

Thank you so much to Faber Faber for sending me a beautiful free hardback to review.

aftereliza's review against another edition

This was such an easy read/listen, telling the stories of 50 exceptional women in history from across the globe, how they overcame personal struggles, societal limitations, and flourished within their field so that we may remember them today. I liked the final paragraphs at the end of each chapter, relating their stories to ones of our own, modern day scenarios. This is a book that I will revisit regularly and might purchase the full paperback soon!

crescentpages's review against another edition

3 stars

This anthology taught me about women that I had never heard of before, so I’m very grateful for that. Ranging throughout history and encompassing a variety of different sectors, the book highlighted the achievements of many different powerful women.

The writing style wasn’t to my personal taste. It was full of cliches and text abbreviations, where I would have preferred a more subtle and less ‘in your face’ one. Despite having this younger writing style, it talked about mature topics explicitly- I felt as if the content didn’t quite fit the vibe of the writing.

I enjoyed learning about women both well-known and not so well-known, of different nationalities, races and sexualities. I recommend if you want an easy and informative read.