On Spine of Death by Tamara Berry

tasha_fullybooked's review against another edition

funny mysterious

purple676's review

This series has become one of my all time favorite cozy mysteries. It’s so charming and fun. I love it.

memull17's review

On Spine of Death is the sophomore novel in the By the Book Mysteries series and I think it’s better than the first. The characters are more established and the storyline is plotted well.

booklover81's review

funny inspiring lighthearted mysterious sad tense fast-paced

hayliebeth's review

lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

blogginboutbooks's review

I LOVED the first book in this series, so I was excited to read the follow up. I enjoyed dropping in on Tessa and her group of fun, quirky associates. The established characters are colorful and likable; the new ones introduced in this installment are likewise. Unfortunately, the plot of ON SPINE OF DEATH gets convoluted and a little TOO far-fetched, which bugged a bit. I didn't see the killer coming, but I also don't feel like I missed the clues that pointed to their identity since there really weren't any. The other "surprise" element in the plot didn't catch me off-guard at all. I also found Tess more than a little annoying in this one with her hyper know-it-all-ing. Even so, I still found the book upbeat, engrossing, and entertaining. I didn't like it nearly as much as I did its predecessor, but I'm still really hopeful for this series so I'm going to stay with it.

If I could, I would give this book 3 1/2 stars; since I can't, I'm rounding up.

ironikal's review

Thank you to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for a free ARC in exchange for my honest opinions. On Spine of Death is the second book in Tamara Berry's new cozy mystery series featuring bestselling author Tess Harrow and her inquisitive teen daughter. After book 1, the duo have decided to live permanently in the tiny town of Winthrop and open a bookstore on the site of Tess's late grandfather's business. Of course, being Tess, she finds not one, not two, but three dead bodies during the renovation. This second book was just as funny, quirky, and cozy as the first, and I really enjoy the relationship between Tess and her daughter. If you like a cozy with a dash of humor, you will really enjoy this series!

ericbuscemi's review

Another fun mystery with this eclectic cast of Pacific Northwesterners, although I could have done without the burgeoning love triangle between Tess, Vincent, and Jared. While the main mystery was resolved more than satisfactorily, with an exciting climax, the falling action and dénouement left a bit too much unresolved for my tastes. Such as,
SpoilerWhat role did Sheriff Boyd's sister play in those earlier deaths? Why were the Peabody brothers so interested in Tess's renovation of the hardware store cum bookstore? Will the FBI investigation into Mason Peabody move forward? Is Jared's cover blown, and will he be returning?
. I hope my lingering questions are addressed in the upcoming third book, [b:Murder Off the Books|61492437|Murder Off the Books (By the Book Mysteries, #3)|Tamara Berry|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1664967515l/61492437._SX50_.jpg|97065324].

onmalsshelf's review