Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

witchwaytofjerda's review

challenging dark mysterious medium-paced

lady_luckless's review

A slow burn but worth it. I loved the main character, she had so much fight in her despite everything she went through. The magic was interesting and despite knowing nothing about Yale I understood the story well enough to get by.

ranwans's review

Never again

mallyb23's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny mysterious tense medium-paced

jaredrlopatin's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

ncoltelli_09's review

3 stars solely for entertainment value. Writing was over simplified, the plot linear and characters are one dimensional. But I read to be entertained so I’m not really disappointed.

whimsicalreader's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

rachelisms's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious slow-paced

theycallmefredrika's review

challenging mysterious tense medium-paced

annettebooksofhopeanddreams's review

This book has been on my shelves ever since it came out. I was so excited about it, I ordered a special edition and then...I somehow gotten intimidated. I've heard it was dark and heavy. I've heard the themes were very clearly way more adult than her young adult books. The book was also quite big and adult book English is not that rarely a little above my reading level, which doesn't help either. However, I had time this weekend. Plenty of time. So I just picked this one up without pressure to finish it within a day.

You can already guess what happened. I did finish it within a day. Firstly because the writing style wasn't too hard at all. I wouldn't call this an easy read, because the book is for sure not an easy read, but it's not the writing making it hard to read. On top of that I discovered that I handled the heavy themes a lot better than I thought I would. There are some really heavy moments in the book and there were moments my stomach didn't react too well. But I never had to stop reading.

And that's mostly because of who Alex is and what kind of person she has become, despite the life she had lead. Her life was far from easy. In a way Alex could have become a completely different person and that would have been realistic, but Alex comes across as a true fighter, as someone who doesn't just give up, as someone who's determined to grab the chances she gets and to make something of whatever life she has left.

Combine that with a plot that does touch on a lot of heavy subjects, but also has this exciting supernatural secret society magical subplot. I wouldn't say that the subplot is pretty, but even though it's still kinda dark and twisted, it also gives the story an extra layer. In the beginning the subplot is a little overwhelming, especially because Bardugo doesn't lose herself in info dumps, but the more it starts to make sense, the more exciting it becomes and at some point the finale starts and I just couldn't stop reading anymore.

I'm really excited about the next book!