Mina and the Undead, by Amy McCaw

booksatlunch's review

adventurous mysterious tense fast-paced

chatspirates's review

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious fast-paced

bec1205's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

laurieoskam's review

fast-paced

kirstiereads's review

I had such a fun time with this. This reignited my want for vampire reads. I feel like it was a slow mystery with a fast feeling ending and the reveal didn’t blow my mind, but I loved this! I could see myself rereading it in spooky months. 👏🏻

library_of_lucy's review

the vibes in this book are immaculate

carton_manette_darnay's review

Full spoiler-free review is available now @CartonManetteDarnay

loverofpages's review

First and foremost, the book follows Mina and her journey in New Orleans to visit her estranged sister, Libby. Obsessed with everything spooky, Mina cannot wait to explore the city's darkest myths and legends - vampire tours, creepy cemeteries and absolutely everything scary. When Mina lands a part time job at a horror movie mansion, her dreams are coming to light... only to be destroyed when a body surfaces and somebody is out replicating New Orleans' most brutal supernatural killings.

This book is a super fun, old school YA gothic horror!
I absolutely adored many elements of this book and found the reading experience incredibly enjoyable. However, there were a few things I disliked about the story.

The setting of 90s New Orleans with their infamous myths and legends on vampires was super fun to read about. The spookiness of the setting really enhanced the story and was definitely a reasoning for me enjoying the book. The story also reads like old school YA, which I think is perfect for younger readers wanting to start experimenting with horror books and more spooky and gruesome literature.

What I didn't like however, was the pacing of the book. The novel started off very quickly with a lot of characters that we were instantly meant to grasp in order to understand the character dynamics. There would also be scenes where the characters would be doing an activity (ie. a sleepover) and we would get a brief summary of what was happening, only for the next scene to be after the event. It meant that there was very little character development throughout the story and I personally found it fairly hard to resonate with any the characters. I do however, think that this is another reason that younger readers would really love this book.

All in all, this book was definitely a fun, spooky book that was very reminiscent of old school YA.

witchestea's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

jessheath's review