Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches, by Audre Lorde

royalflamboyance's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

kserra's review against another edition

I found this book thoughtful and provocative, and expect that I'll be return to select essays over and over again to as the words resonate with my life. I think some sections hold up less well than others, specifically the first chapter on the USSR, but it is awe-inspiring (and really depressing) how timely "The Master's Tools" still sounds, 30 years after it was written.

Anyway, it has a well-deserved reputation as a seminal feminist text, and I suspect my first read of it is only one step towards truly understanding Audre Lorde's work.

kennedylamb's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

miriamhayes's review against another edition

challenging informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

ardavis414's review against another edition

Audre Lorde’s work never disappoints. Sadly, many of the topics that she discussed in 1984 such as, homophobia within the black community, black women being pressured to choose between their race and gender, and US imperialism are popular topics of conversation in 2021.

I’m also not surprised that I haven’t heard about the US’s invasion of Grenada. I’ll make sure to find some resources about this soon.

williamstome's review against another edition

Beautifully written and thought provoking, but as a collection of speeches and brief essays it lacked the thematic clarity that a traditional book might have. I really think I would have enjoyed this more if read as part of a traditional academic class that afforded the opportunity for deep weekly discussion on each essay, rather than just reading it straight through in a few sittings by myself.

nosestuckinabk's review against another edition

This one will be with me for a long time. Incredibly relevant. Required reading (for everyone, but especially those who call themselves feminist).

madsrgreen's review against another edition

challenging inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

cmacso's review against another edition

This came in my book hookup from The Strand a couple of years ago, and I’m so happy it did! It was rough in terms of facing what we’ve all known to be true - that we treat our Black lesbian women unbelievably poorly. These essays were in your face and bold and powerful and raw and honest. They are not to be consumed all at once. I recommend reading an essay and sitting with it before starting another one.

sofipitch's review against another edition

informative reflective slow-paced

This should be required reading for all of humanity. Lorde is just incredibly intelligent and insightful and we are blessed that not only she existed on this planet, but chose to speak up over being silenced