Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches, by Audre Lorde

bookishmaryrose's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

fictionalyss's review against another edition

*Read Harder Challenge 2016*
[Read a collection of essays]
[Read a nonfiction book about feminism or with feminist themes]
in progress...

unaruchive's review against another edition

book 2 for my 20 before 20 (where i read 20 books before i turn 20)

// review to come

aneumann's review against another edition

I have finally finished this! It took me like 5 months

jeansbookbag's review against another edition

informative reflective medium-paced

I wanted to love this one, I really did, but it just didn't work for me. I think part of the problem is that I listened to the audiobook, and the narrator was so robotic it made the listening experience feel like such hard work. Because this is a book of both essays and speeches, I did feel like it got a bit repetitive, without having a really strong through-line, which again, wasn't helped by robotic narration. Lorde is a wonderful writer, with powerful messages, this particular delivery was just a struggle for me. I look forward to trying more of her writing to see if that works better for me.

3littlewordz's review against another edition

Review: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Sister Outsider was a transformational journey. I am honestly disappointed that I waited this long to read this collection of essays. Audre Lorde somehow spoke to relationships, issues and concerns in her time and our current one. It's unsurprising but incredibly heartbreaking that we are still battling the same exact problems. I wish I could require this reading for everyone. I finished this book with the essay on Grenada Visited while visiting Colombia, and I wonder what Sister Lorde would say about our black brothers and sisters that escaped slavery but now live on poverty in that country. And how often have those circumstances been replicated across the world?

I will continue to revisit these essays in the coming months and years as I want to really digest and internalize the words and their meaning to my life and society as a whole.

Please read this! And re-read again and again!!

choirqueer's review against another edition

It's been over a decade since I've read this one and it was high time for a re-read. Everything Audre Lorde has to say is extremely important and transcends time and space. I'm glad to have taken the time to re-ignite the power of her words in my system.

biancam513's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

this book was genuinely incredible. audre lorde so real for publishing this 🤞🏾 like

lavenderdafrog1's review against another edition

challenging hopeful informative reflective medium-paced

linaslzr's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced