Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches, by Audre Lorde

katrinadreamer's review against another edition

“It is not difference that immobilizes us, but silence. And there are so many silences to be broken.”

“The price of increasing power is increasing opposition.”

“Revolution is not a one time event. It is becoming always vigilant for the smallest opportunity to make a genuine change in established, outgrown responses; for instance, it is learning to address each others’ difference with respect.”

I could quote many other wise and prescient passages. Lorde’s writing is powerful, like a gut punch. And still completely, sadly relevant today.

pmirandajean's review against another edition

Harder read, but if I had to put 5books that everyone should read, this one would make the list. Unite in the fight!!

I am so mad that this is the cover picture goodread uses cause the cover is my version is so pretty

blacksentai's review against another edition

Depressingly every essay is as relevant in 2021 as it was in 1984

lauramolenaar's review against another edition

Echt een bijzonder boek. Lorde zou normaliter wat te continentaal zijn voor mijn smaak (omdat ze poëzie gebruikt en sporadisch erg persoonlijk wordt), maar ze is overtuigend genoeg om mijn aandacht te blijven vasthouden. Ook fijn dat Lorde af en toe hand in eigen boezem steekt en niet alleen maar ageert op haar tegenstanders.

notthatcosta's review against another edition

This collection of texts, though published decades ago, remains remarkably relevant and important in 2021, almost 30 years after Lorde's death. Despite her untimely passing, she still feels like a central figure in the study and discourse surrounding intersectionality and the positionality of Black queer womxn.

Like many, I had read 'The Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master's House' prior to the book as a whole (it was a key text in a module I took at university). Though obviously a cornerstone of this collection, there is much more to Audre Lorde than this one [excellent] essay.

For me, it was her musings on her travels to Russia and Uzbekistan ('Notes from a Trip to Russia') and her reflections on the US invasion of Grenada ('Grenada Revisted: An Interim Report'), in which we saw her navigating her feminism and critical lens on justice, white supremacy and community in a global sense, beyond the parameters of American society, that I found most engrossing.

emilyhickey's review against another edition

Essential reading.

drewsky's review against another edition

It’s Audre Lorde (read: great).

bakkabennu's review against another edition

4 1/2 stars - I already had a high opinion of Lorde from all the snippets of things I had read about/by her before reading this entire volume. I came into this one expecting essays on feminism and race, but this was more than that. Prof. Lorde is a philosopher and theologian at her core. The text seems dated at first, but as I completed each speech and journal entry I saw how much grander Lorde's vision was. Repeatedly she stresses open communication, casting out divisiveness, and yet still speaking truthfully about systematic American violence. Neo-liberals have a lot to learn from Lorde's maturity and thoughtfulness.

amy_rose29's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

Audre Lorde's speeches and essays are worth reading for anyone wanting to gain a better understanding of intersectional power dynamics. She speaks with so much warmth and honesty about life and resistance and the power of self and community

savshu's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative reflective sad medium-paced