Daughters of the Deer, by Danielle Daniel

kelseydumont's review

I will write a proper review when I’ve had a chance to process everything I’ve read. I wish I could go back and re-rate my previous books as I can only think of one or two that deserves a 5 ⭐️ like this one does. Brilliant. Must-read. It’s everything.

awinkz's review

adventurous emotional informative reflective sad fast-paced

I found this book a page turner. The descriptions of life in the 1600s in Algonquin territories were so evocative.

lemonyemilyreads's review

Daughters of the Deer is a historical fiction novel about colonization and intergenerational trauma.
This book is based on the authors own family history and its set in Quebec in the mid-1600s. It tells the story of Marie, an Algonquin Women, Pierre her French Settler husband, and their two-spirited daughter Jeanne.
It was heartbreaking, beautiful and tragic. This book is a glimpse into what can shape generational trauma for Indigenous Women and Peoples. I enjoyed this book because it gave me more knowledge and a new perspective around the effects of colonialism that we don't hear being talked about enough in modern day media. If you read this book, who was your favourite character? Mine was Jeanne!

chauchyreads's review

dark emotional sad medium-paced

samro1990's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective sad fast-paced

Really enjoyed this book.  It takes a hard look at some hard topics, but in a way that draws you in and makes you want to read more.

Felt the author could have flushed out more things,  but nonetheless a good read that I would recommend.

norarosereadss's review

This book is good. Set in the 1600s Daughters of the Deer is a heartfelt, raw story about an Algonquin woman, Marie, her settler husband, and their young daughter. The story begins when Marie’s village is raided, and she is encouraged by her chief to marry Pierre, a French settler, in order to help protect the village. Maries tells us about the early days of their marriage, and the welcoming of their first child Jeanne. Then, in the second half of the novel, we hear from Jeanne as an adolescent girl, and from Pierre, who’s Catholic beliefs are in conflict with his fatherly love for his daughter. The story is a beautiful tribute to Danielle Daniels ancestors, whose lives inspired the novel.

This is the author’s first novel, and I believe her storytelling can definitely improve. Within the story, there were a few moments when I would have preferred the author show us something, rather than tell it to us. The reader often knows something that the characters do not, and I think this takes away a bit from the magic of the story. For example, I would have been happy to have been left wondering what happened to Pierre in the woods, as Marie never finds out the truth. Personally, the story would have been a little more intriguing if Pierre's point of view was omitted. I think I would have preferred the author focused on the interweaving stories of mother and daughter. That said, this was an incredible read, and I look forward to seeing how the author grows and evolves in future works.

kendallbist's review

Me whenever I got to a Pierre chapter: "I just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy my evening, when all of the sudden I hear this agitating, grating voice..."

thelitficagenda's review

a must read.

amandagomez's review

DNF - dunno how I made it to p.134 tbh lol

this story is soullessly written & it makes me lean more into my doubts about this author's background; everything here we know as fact, but the author is unable to take those things and write a compelling story that pulls you in. the writing feels separated from the POV it's trying to achieve, and at times leans into the mystification of Indigenous people. I much prefer reading from queer Indigenous authors directly. You can tell the difference.

lindsmac's review against another edition

adventurous informative sad medium-paced