Network Effect, by Martha Wells

jodihannah's review

I could not stop reading this novel. I love how the action that Wells describes pulls me right in. The speed with which she describes things makes the book seem very much alive; the characters seem so real that it feels like Murderbot is going to walk awkwardly in my door at any minute to save me from an alien race. I freaking love it. And I love the raw sarcasm of the robots, the reality with which they view the world. I love the earnestness of the humans and how that earnestness and their emotions constantly gets them into trouble. The hilarious foibles of Murderbot and how they navigate their life and their interactions with the world is so darn enduring. I just can't wait for the next installment in the series.

wewantawitness's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

starstruck0's review

I hate it when humans and augmented humans ruin things for no reason. Maybe because I was a thing before I was a person and if I’m not careful I could be a thing again.

hartdaniel's review

I thoroughly enjoyed it. First full novel in this series. Some saying no need to be this long but I could've happily read more chapters. Worst part was how easy it was to read so kept forgetting how long it was and would lose hours of the day.

critterbee's review

Martha Wells did it! A full-length Murderbot with all of the excitement and addictive re-readability of the novellas! Guys, I waited so long and so eagerly for this, and it was such an excellent read.

Our Murderbot is back, and is simultaneously figuring out their feels & what they want, dealing with hapless, self-destructive humans (& augmented humans), and saving the day. New worlds and new people, with the same old obstacles, as well as some new ones tossed in to make a little more chaos. This has a pretty intriguing mystery, on top of all the Murderbot action, angst-lite, and wit. Perfect!

charbroiled's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring mysterious reflective relaxing sad tense fast-paced

clara206's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious fast-paced

vroodles's review

Light spoilers - Loved the chance to linger in Murderbot's mind. The plot plays out a little how I'd expect the "Murderbot version" of The Expanse to go - light on hard sci-fi details with just enough to convince the reader that it could be explained, heavy on the personal and emotional fallout for SecUnit and it's fellow travelers. I was very happy to see old friends come back.

concealed_journeys's review

adventurous funny fast-paced

sapphicshark's review against another edition

Another knockout Murderbot installation

This one was longer than the previous books but in a good way! I enjoyed seeing familiar characters again, and this one had some truly touching character development and interactions.